How to switch from Power Mac to Mac Pro mantaining all Softwares

Reaction score
Hello to everyone my name is Daniele from Italy.
my Power Mac g5 is not working well anymore, and I would like to purchase a Mac pro late 2008 (intel), take the hard drive I have now installed in my Power Mac G5, and install it on the Mac pro. Since both support SATA hard drive this shouldn't be a problem, right?

I have a question: Would this way save all my softwares? I need to use Logic pro in the new mac pro, with all the same settings, plugins and data, that I had on my power mac.

Do you think that simply installing the hard drive on the Mac Pro, would allow me to have this? (have all softwares running and datas).

Many thanks for your kind answers and wish you all a nice day!
Daniele

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a question: Would this way save all my softwares? I need to use Logic pro in the new mac pro, with all the same settings, plugins and data, that I had on my power mac.

Do you think that simply installing the hard drive on the Mac Pro, would allow me to have this? (have all softwares running and datas).

Depends what OS version you have on your current Powermac G5.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick for the answer.
On powermac i run currently 10.5.8 version ...

Thanks for the info.:)

OS 10.5.8 will run on on a 2008 Mac Pro (and therefore the installed apps on the HD should work too). So it should work.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Many Thanks Nick! Really appreciate.
Just got another question:
Will it works even if on the Mac Pro there is installed a more recent OS installed ,
such as 10.6 or 10.7 and so on?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will it works even if on the Mac Pro there is installed a more recent OS installed , such as 10.6 or 10.7 and so on?

The OS installs are on the hard drive. As you know…your Powermac G5 can have two internal hard drives installed…in a 2008 Mac Pro…it can have up to 4 internal hard drives installed.

A different OS version could be installed on each of those 4 hard drives (10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8). And the computer would work fine if booted/started up from any of those hard drives. And booting up any one of them will not effect how the other work.

So…if you install your Powermac G5's hard drive into this 2008 Mac Pro…and start the computer up from your Powermac G5 hard drive…it will work no problem.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just be aware if you go to Lion OS X>7 or later, older PowerPC applications such as Office 2004 etc will not work. Rosetta which enabled these to work on an intel machine was killed off in Lion and later.

OP
D
Reaction score
Many thanks Nick and also to harryb2448 for your clear answers.
I am really happy that I can move forward more confident now, and maintain all my data in the next machine.
Many thanks,
Daniele

Reaction score
i can also recommend something as well if you honestly want to go to a intel machine i would look on amazon for a updated version of logic and see online if that version is compatible with your plugins.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.