OSX doesn't self-destruct like over time Windows, I'd hope?

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
caveatipss said:
How frustrating that people will not just answer your question lol. Windows slows down because of registry entires and the dynamic link library. Every app on Windows uses the registry and .dll, and those marks just sit there. Over time, you have a very bloated OS that DOES slow down. This is a known fact. OS X does not store apps or files in the same manner, so NO, it will not have that particular problem. There.

There, somebody answered the question :)

The mini arrived yesterday, and was up and running a few minutes later. The thing is utterly quiet, not a noise unless you put your ear against the case (which by the way is the size of a square cookie tin), and everything works! It took me months to figure out how to connect a network printer to XP, it took only a minute here. And even the CPU is nominally only half the speed of my PC (1.42 GHz vs 2.8) it's still faster, for starters because I don't have to run a ****load of anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-popup etc software.
Yes, it does have a 2 button wheel mouse and right-clicking brings up a context menu just the same. And uninstalling a program doesn't mean "start, control panel, add/remove software, uninstall, then remove remnants from all over the harddrive and the registry", nope, just drag the program to the trashcan and it's gone, gone, gone

F

falltime

caveatipss said:
How frustrating that people will not just answer your question lol. Windows slows down because of registry entires and the dynamic link library. Every app on Windows uses the registry and .dll, and those marks just sit there. Over time, you have a very bloated OS that DOES slow down. This is a known fact. OS X does not store apps or files in the same manner, so NO, it will not have that particular problem. There.

Do you even know what a DLL is?

Its not single functioning entity - you don't say "Windows uses the DLL or a DLL."

Dynamic Linking is a standard, essential part of ANY modern operating system and a DLL or (Dynamic Link Library) is simply a collection of functions and subroutines that are dynamically linked - meaning they are not included in the executable @ compile time, but are in fact "linked" to apps that call them via the OS. This conserves disk space and memory and, as I said earlier, is the norm in a modern computing environment.

DLL is simply Microsoft's common sense initialism for those type of libraries. All other modern OS's use them as well, but just name them differently.

The registry is simply a consolidated, central, structured storage and management solution for configuration and initialization data that is available to any app that wants to use it. It is simply an approach and there is nothing inherently wrong with it. All Operating systems and applications HAVE to store such data SOMEWHERE, and registry is just one option that Microsoft provides. Microsoft does not force developers to use the registry, and if a developer wanted to, he could just as easily build and use and build a XML configuration file like most apps for OS X do.... I personally still build the old-fashioned ini file :) for my own coded apps because its what I've been doing for years and its what I'm comfortable with.

It is the responsibility of the developer to implement proper removal procedures to fully expunge registry entries, and the only reason why a registry would become "bloated" with orphan registry items is due to a lack of solid, attentive programming on behalf of the developers. Microsoft cannot and should not be held responsible for another developer's mistakes - something that boneheaded Mac zealots LOOOOOOVE to do.

I post much less frequently than I used to, but I still occasionally come across the freakish thread that I just can't help but comment on.

Just leave Microsoft alone guys. Some of the most respected coders in the world that don't work for Microsoft have said that the programmers THEY respect work over in Redmond. For every great programmer that refuses to work for a corporation on proprietary software and prefers to devote their lives to the open-source cause, there are ten that feel otherwise.. and nine of those ten go to Microsoft...... the other goes to Google ;)

Sure attack some of Microsoft's less-than-scrupulous past business practices, but don't attack their programmers... please.

Oh, and for those that will NEVER stop antagonizing Microsoft because of viruses, spyware and its overall "lack" of security who refuse to read any of my posts (which I've made many) that offer a different, less "anti-microsoft" perspective. Here's an interesting read that basically sums up all of my posts into 1 simple article: http://marketwatch-cnet.com.com/Is+Mac+OS+as+safe+as+ever/2100-1002_3-6043353.html?tag=nl

Believe it or not, I run my Windows XP Pro PC (Opteron 170 @ 2.72GHz w/ 2GB 2-3-2-5 1t OCZ, eVGA 7800gt OC'd) 24/7, 7 days a week. It's current uptime is 4 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours. I am connected to the internet at all times, and
I only run a NAT - I do not run ANY type of anti-virus software, anti-spyware software or a firewall. I do A LOT of Ethereal network analyzing and packet decoding/reversing and that type of software/hardware can tend to get in the way, so I don't even bother to install it. I haven't had anything that even closely RESEMBLES malware, with the exception of Yahoo Messenger ;) for over 4 years.

C

caveatipss

Yes, I know what a .dll is, and yes, it is referred to in the singular. It is a set of files, but as the word "library" in the singular implies, it is one set of multiple files. As a PhD in English, I assure you that I am well aware of the rules for singular and plural English words. Thanks.

L

lil

I won't ever knock people who use Windows—that's their choice and I am fine with that; I just prefer Mac OS X immensely.

What I do know is that a fair few weekends of mine are spent unclogging and de-infecting Windows machines, ones that are used by peeps who I would consider far from idiots. That said the situation is so muh better now than it when Win 3/Win 95 ruled the roost.

The system we use at work is Windows based and is excellent, beats the pants off the system we used at the Apple Store, some Hansa based crap that was far to complicated; though this was more a fault with the choice of sales platform than a 'Mac problem' per se. That said with the excellent system we use at work regardless of being Windows based beats it hands down.

Of course I am always happy to come home to my Mac; and I do cheat as I use the system via MS Remote Desktop Connection at work via my PowerBook!!

Vicky

K

Kokopelli

caveatipss said:

Funny, the question had been answered a couple times. Including me. :)

Reaction score
i think our computers running xp would be fine if only me and my parents used them, because all i do is use bit torrent, aim, firefox, and cooledit. my brothers like to install kazaa or whatever is = and install stupid little programs. i do have a question though, someone mentioned something about goin through your library and cleaning stuff out. i was wondering what kind of things i can delete, in the library or anywhere else. because i know with windows things got kind of cluttered, but i was familiar with it enough to know what i could and couldnt delete. can someone please give me a quick run through on things i can clean out? because i like my computer neat and organized, contrary to the way i keep my room. lawl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sorry, no. Microsoft does hire a talented bunch of programmers, but you'd never know it from looking at Windows.

The Registry is a horrible hack. It's a Soviet organizational structure: too centralized, and too vulnerable to corruption.

Expecting application developers to play nice and clean up their own mess is naive. The OS shouldn't let applications do whatever they want. Any attempt to modify a system config file should be met with a solid "ACCESS DENIED."

The same philosophy leads to conflicts with DLLs, or dependencies under Linux, or extensions under the Classic Mac OS.

OS X has a standardized set of system libraries, much like Java or Microsoft's own .Net. And that's what you get. There is no sharing of libraries beyond that, and if you want something else, you have to bring your own.

Windows has real problems. You can blame the developers if you like, but that only helps if you don't ever install anything. The OS should be able to protect itself.

And by the way...Apple has addressed the bugs mentioned in your article. The security update came out weeks ago.

F

falltime

technologist said:
Sorry, no. Microsoft does hire a talented bunch of programmers, but you'd never know it from looking at Windows.

How would you know otherwise? What could you compare it to?

Sure you could theorize or speculate how OS X would do given the EXACT same circumstances and scale Windows deals with. But how could you possibly come to any sort of fair conclusion? Seeing as you already have it in your head that Windows is trash and Microsoft is the corporate incarnation the devil.

Take away OS X's proprietary platform - throw it millions of different drivers coded by different developers at different times for millions of different devices, and force half the world’s population to use it.

Microsoft has to take a different approach to when building it's OS than developers for other OS's do. It has to accommodate and compensate for an incomprehensible slough of variables - people can sit there and scrutinize and criticize that approach all that want... it's different because it has to be, Microsoft didn't just make some stupid, arbitrary decision to implement something called the "registry" because it sounded cool. Yes believe it or not, there was logical reasoning behind it, and it simply makes sense if you take a step back and look at things from Microsoft's perspective. It's completely illogical, and bordering on insane to take OS X's approach as a counterpoint.

And its clear to me you didn't read the article in full because I can't see how you didn't get the point. The article wasn't emphasizing the exploits that had already been patched, or were to be patched; it was simply addressing the fact that OS X COULD be exploited. The most important point the "30 minute" hacker made after he rooted was the SAME point I've been making since day one - "Mac OS X is easy pickings for bug finders. That said, it doesn't have the market share to really interest most serious bug finders".

The truth is OS X isn't a "complete" alternative to Windows... and it definitely isn't a better one. Apple's strength isn't in its software... as someone who supports the software 5 days a week, 8 hours a day... I can ASSURE you that. As I've said many times before - as paradoxal as it may sound, Apple actually finds it's continuing success in the computer industry through its market share. As long as Apple sticks to a "semi"-proprietary platform, its market share will remain somewhat limited... as long as Apple has a limited market share, it will stick to its proprietary platform. Because of this OS X will never have to face any of the serious, ingenious threats Microsoft has to deal with on a daily basis.

If that’s the reason why people prefer OSX then fine, but don't trash Windows in the process.

It's never fair to argue over speculation so overzealous Mac-heads need to stop pretending OS X is in the same boat as Windows - it clearly isn't. Theoretical debate is pointless and has no end... good old Nick Naylor said it best when he said "That’s the beauty of argument, because if you argue correctly you are never wrong".

K

Kokopelli

I generally prefer to avoid these debates but decided to respond a bit anyway. Flesh is strong, but the will is weak...

falltime said:
Sure you could theorize or speculate how OS X would do given the EXACT same circumstances and scale Windows deals with. But how could you possibly come to any sort of fair conclusion? Seeing as you already have it in your head that Windows is trash and Microsoft is the corporate incarnation the devil.

I warrant this is a common problem with Mac/Linux proponents. It is also a problem with Windows proponents as well. The stigma of being a Mac user is at times extreme in certain communities. I do not think that Technologist, nor anyone else on these boards, was trying to theorize how OS X would do in Window's circumstance. They have inherently different philosophies.

falltime said:
Take away OS X's proprietary platform - throw it millions of different drivers coded by different developers at different times for millions of different devices, and force half the world’s population to use it.

Why? This has never been Apple's intention, nor their modus operandi. You say take away the proprietary platform and throw millions of drivers at it. I say take away the satndards and control over hardware and do not impose restrictions and quality control upon the hardware drivers.

This is not to say it is the fault of Windows, but when you do not impose controls you do introduce new locations where problems can occur.

falltime said:
Microsoft has to take a different approach to when building it's OS than developers for other OS's do. It has to accommodate and compensate for an incomprehensible slough of variables - people can sit there and scrutinize and criticize that approach all that want... it's different because it has to be, Microsoft didn't just make some stupid, arbitrary decision to implement something called the "registry" because it sounded cool. Yes believe it or not, there was logical reasoning behind it, and it simply makes sense if you take a step back and look at things from Microsoft's perspective. It's completely illogical, and bordering on insane to take OS X's approach as a counterpoint.

Now here I will take a bit of an exception. The registry is a dangerous hack and one that has outlived its usefuleness. It does not, nor did it ever have to, exist. It was simply the direction Windows chose to take. As I state with most things, it has its strong and weak points. It makes sense in a largely static computing environment. It fails to handle large, arbitrary, or frequent changes well though. Further the interdependency of elements makes "simple" adjustments beyond the reach of "typical" users. On paper it sounds great and in reality it has its uses. But also in reality it has its problems. As someone who had to reinstall the OS of a server last week because a hive became corrupt let me assure you the registry has its issues. The owner of that server should have been backing up the registry and OS for that matter. It does not change the fact that the registry became corrupt on an update and then failed to start on reboot.

falltime said:
And its clear to me you didn't read the article in full because I can't see how you didn't get the point. The article wasn't emphasizing the exploits that had already been patched, or were to be patched; it was simply addressing the fact that OS X COULD be exploited. The most important point the "30 minute" hacker made after he rooted was the SAME point I've been making since day one - "Mac OS X is easy pickings for bug finders. That said, it doesn't have the market share to really interest most serious bug finders".

Sigh, the 30 minute hacker had a local account. How long do you think it would take someone to hack Windows with RDC and the ability to share drives? It was one of the most silly contests I have seen in a while. OS X, Windows, Linux, even BSD. Give someone a local account and they are already more than half way to owning the system. (Give them physical access and they do own the system, but that is another story.)

And while I agree that OS X is not the inpenetrable bastion that some hold it to be, that article is pretty much sensationalist crap. It raises some valid points but they are buried in half understood ramblings. Yes there are ways in which an account or system can be compromised in OS X over the internet. Just because you are not on Windows does not mean you do not have to show some reasonable caution. This is true of any OS. OS X IS more secure than the current incarnations of Windows. Significantly so. This may not always be the case, but is as of this moment.

Properly secured and maintained both are reasonable platforms. With certain allowances and sufficient time both can be hacked.

falltime said:
The truth is OS X isn't a "complete" alternative to Windows... and it definitely isn't a better one. Apple's strength isn't in its software... as someone who supports the software 5 days a week, 8 hours a day... I can ASSURE you that. As I've said many times before - as paradoxal as it may sound, Apple actually finds it's continuing success in the computer industry through its market share. As long as Apple sticks to a "semi"-proprietary platform, its market share will remain somewhat limited... as long as Apple has a limited market share, it will stick to its proprietary platform. Because of this OS X will never have to face any of the serious, ingenious threats Microsoft has to deal with on a daily basis.

I am not sure what you mean by complete. They are different Operating Systems. For many uses they both have the same equivalent functionality. There are some things you can not do on OS X that you can on Windows and vice versa. It depends upon use as to how you define completeness. There are many things I can do in linux that I can not do in Wndows.

Most, though not all, current threats on OS X are not based upon the components Apple has written but upon the underlying supports. There are multiple vectors of attack, but the serious ones require local access to the system. Perhaps with a dominant market share OS X would have as many problems as Windows, but I can say with confidence it would not be of the same scale, frequency, nor inability to correct. This has less to do with the number of machines so much as choices made in design. Microsoft made choices based upon features and usefullness to the OS. Some of these choices, such as ActiveX, have proven in retrospect to be not necessarily the best path given the number of exploits they have introduced.

falltime said:
If that’s the reason why people prefer OSX then fine, but don't trash Windows in the process.

It's never fair to argue over speculation so overzealous Mac-heads need to stop pretending OS X is in the same boat as Windows - it clearly isn't. Theoretical debate is pointless and has no end... good old Nick Naylor said it best when he said "That’s the beauty of argument, because if you argue correctly you are never wrong".

As far as I can see no one argued that OS X is in the same boat as Windows. What they have argued is that Windows has flaws that are not exhibited in OS X. This is true. They have also argued that Microsoft has made inherent mistakes in the design of Windows which causes problems for the end user. This is also true.

OS X and Windows are not the same in concept, design, or market. Each has its strong and weak points. For instance if you want arbitrary hardware choices Macs are not your platform. Nor should Mac be your platform if you want to do PC gaming. And so on.... Neither is a clear winner for all users, it depends upon the user and use.

Mac users trashing Windows, Windows users trashing Macs, and Linux users trashing everyone else. It is a time honored tradition. This will not end and if you don't expect at least some of it on a Mac centric board I am a bit surprised. You unfortunately are fighting a battle of opinion in the opposing points native waters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.