TERMINAL icon on dock

Reaction score
An icon named TERMINAL has appeared on my dock with a little white dot beside it, which I think means it's open. What is TERMINAL, it sounds a bit threatening ... shall I just close it and forget about it? Regards, Minnie

M

MacInWin

Terminal is a command prompt screen from the old days of *nix. You can close it with no problem. The name is not threatening, it comes from the idea of a terminal being a workstation for the old machines in the data centers. On the Mac, Terminal emulates how those workstations looked.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, you can close it. If you didn't open it, there's no reason you need it open.

Terminal is part of OS X and is by no means harmful. Out of curiosity, what did you open right before Terminal opened up?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments about closing the TERMINAL icon. Whew! I'm really glad I asked you and feel a whole lot better now. Best regards, Minnie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.