Couple of dumb questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (late 2013) El Capitan. iPad Mini.
I have just upgraded to a new 27" iMac from my 8 year old 20". All good except that the new machine does not seem to recognise my old Trackpad. Batteries are fine as I was using it yesterday on the old Mac. Does this have anything to do with the new mouse?
Secondly, it's my first use of the new abbreviated keyboard, and I cannot seem to find a delete key. Go head and embarrass me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there sure some dumb answers!

Hi and welcome. I'm almost certain that your old trackpad will not be compatible with a system that is 8 years old. Sorry.

And the delete key is the backspace key found on the second top row of your keyboard, far right. (just above the return key). When deleting in Mail, for example, one press of the key deletes an email, but in many other situations you have to press Cmd + Backspace to effect a Delete action.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian. Easy when you know how. My Trackpad is not 8 years old, but only about 3, maybe 4, but I suppose in computer years that is almost a lifetime.
Alan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you been into bluetooth preferences to connect the trackpad?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi again Alan

bobtomay's point is highly valid. He knew what I mistakenly didn't, namely, that your trackpad is relatively new. I assumed it was 8 years like your Mac.

To check it, as he said, there are different ways. One is System Preferences > Bluetooth and make sure it is switched on. You can also get into Bluetooth via the Menu bar towards the right side of your screen where there should be a Bluetooth icon with 3 tiny dots across its middle. Click on that. You can turn it on/off from there, enter Bluetooth preferences and so on. With Bluetooth switched on, see if it can find your Trackpad. Maybe you're in luck. Hope so.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All good except that the new machine does not seem to recognise my old Trackpad.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned. But can we assume that this is an Apple "Magic Trackpad"…or a different trackpad device?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. Yes, my Bluetooth is switched on as it recognises both the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. Just seems to ignore the touchpad, which is Apple. Still, I am getting used to using the mouse as a touchpad, just wondering why I can't seem to use both.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just seems to ignore the touchpad, which is Apple. Still, I am getting used to using the mouse as a touchpad, just wondering why I can't seem to use both.

You mentioned Magic Mouse, Trackpad, and keyboard. So that we can better understand your setup…are you using three bluetooth devices??:

- keyboard
- Magic Mouse
- Magic Trackpad

If so…this is not a problem…since all three should work just fine. Just trying to get a better picture of things on your end.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Nick, Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have finally managed to get my Trackpad paired. The problem I was having was that in the Preferences Setup, it would only flash Trackpad found for about 2 seconds, If I missed clicking on Continue, it would just go back to No trackpad Found. I had to be very quick to click Continue, and then it paired successfully.

Once again, thank you to all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.