Leaving Old Graphics Card plugged in, is this ok? Mac Pro 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
Dear Mac Forums

Quick Question:

I am currently running an EVGA GTX 970 in my 2008 Mac Pro, and it works fantastically, that is until apple release a system update (or even a security update it now seems). Which is when I have to swap out the card for my old 8800GT to update the web drivers.

My question is, the 8800GT requires a 6 pin power cable to work, and obviously it won't work without it, but to save me time, is it safe to leave the 8800GT in a PCI-E port in without the power cable? Will the mac try to use it and damage it, or will it just ignore it.

I have the GTX 970 plugged into slot 2, so if I could leave the 8800GT in slot 1 without a power cable, then when I need to use it, I could just swap out the power cable and boot into that without having to unscrew everything to swap around the cards.

Hopefully someone can help me!

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is, the 8800GT requires a 6 pin power cable to work, and obviously it won't work without it, but to save me time, is it safe to leave the 8800GT in a PCI-E port in without the power cable? Will the mac try to use it and damage it, or will it just ignore it.

It should be fine. Just leave it there.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.