problem reading double layer dvd

L

lievenv

Hi,

I have a problem reading a double layer DVD+R data DVD on my powerbook G4 superdrive (OS X 10.2.8 ; single layer DVD-R writer). I can read it perfectly well on my older powermac G4 superdrive (OS X 10.4.5 ; dvd-rom cd-rw).
At first I thought it might be a region thing, although this shouldn’t apply to data dvd’s, but my powermac is region 1 and my powerbook is region 2, and so I thought… Anyway, so I tried playing several kinds of DVD-movies and data-DVD’s, but everything checks out fine. I can read my OS X Tiger installation DVD just fine on both machines.

When I insert the DL-DVD I hear a lot of whizzing and whirring and then the same click, click turn turn movement for like 10 minutes while the little multicolored wheel spins. Then an empty finder window finally opens displaying the correct DVD title and saying “0 items, 423.5MB available” (whizzing, whirring and multicolored wheel continue). Then after 5 more minutes of whizzing and whirring finder crashes and restarts, the w and the w continue and a DVD-symbol appears on my desktop, with the correct name, so I can finally eject it.

Anyone?

Vincent

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.