Good RAM Bad RAM? 3 Beeps on boot.

Reaction score
Ok so I already know that the 3 beeps on boot is a RAM integrity error. But here's where things get interesting. I get the 3 beeps on boot at random times.

This all started after I upgraded the RAM in my Macbook Pro from the two 2GB sticks to 8GB total with 2 4GB Crucial sticks.

I verified that both crucial RAM sticks were fine by using them in a windows PC and running a diagnostic software targeted at the RAM. I verified that it's not just the new sticks by putting the old RAM back in and running the machine for a while like that. I have checked the RAM slots as best I can it seems to work fine.

Anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this intermittent problem? I'm in school and need my Macbook for school. The machine is covered under a BestBuy warranty but I work in the GeekSquad there and know that this is a problem that would be shipped out to their depot and I can't really afford to be without a computer for 2-3 weeks. GeekSquad doesn't deal with problems like this at all in store so I'm hoping theres someone who knows a fix that doesn't involve me popping my RAM out and putting it back in 1-2 times a week till schools out and I can ship it.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Putting the memory modules in a PC and checking them that way is no indication that they're working OK in your Mac. Ask Crucial to send you 2 more modules and then swap the old ones for the new ones and see if the same problem occurs. Also, if your machine works OK with the original memory modules, that's another indication that the Crucial modules may not be working right. Also, make sure you have the correct modules for your Machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
By testing the RAM in a PC that tells me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the RAM modules. Also in my original post I mention that by putting in the original RAM that came from Apple with the machine I still get the same issue. With both RAM modules, the original OEM RAM and the aftermarket Crucial RAM, I have the same issue. The machine will be working fine and then at some point, usually after i move it from one location to another, it will freeze. Hard shutdown is the only way to rectify the freeze and then when attempting to boot up again I get the 3 beeps. Opening the computer and pulling the RAM out then putting it back in fixes the issue and the computer will boot fine again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By testing the RAM in a PC that tells me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the RAM modules.

You're not understanding. Ram that works in a "PC" may not necessarily work in a Mac. Mac's can be "fussy" when it comes to ram.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, his old Original Apple sticks do the same 3 beeps! I am guessing Ram socket issue. Have you tried it with just one stick at a time and moving that to each slot and booting a few times? If one slot causes the issue and the other does not, then it's for sure a problem with the Ram sockets or socket!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, his old Original Apple sticks do the same 3 beeps!

I understand.:)

I was mentioning to the OP that testing ram in a "PC" is not necessarily a "perfect test" for determining if the ram in a Mac is "fault free". Ram could work in a "PC" but not work in a Mac.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick, his old Original Apple sticks do the same 3 beeps! I am guessing Ram socket issue. Have you tried it with just one stick at a time and moving that to each slot and booting a few times? If one slot causes the issue and the other does not, then it's for sure a problem with the Ram sockets or socket!

I suspect you're right Dennis. We had another thread similar to this one a year ago or so and the OP repaired it by removing the logic board and adjusting the screws that hold the module connectors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.