iPhone won't accept iTunes selections

Reaction score
I have been dragging music from my macbook pro library (iTunes) for the last 2795 songs. I have 25.37 Gigs available on the phone, but for some reason, all of a sudden, the tunes will not 'copy' they just stay grayed out on the phone music library. Any thoughts on this one?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying for me. As far as I know, I have my iPhone (and iPod) set up to manually transfer. I have more more on the laptop than phone capacity, therefore, I have connected phone to computer with USB and dragged icons or lists of songs from the same album to the phone music library. I receive the 'blue box' highlighting the phone features under devices. I get the indication on the phone and computer that songs are being transferred...

HOWEVER, here's the clincher, when I went to play the songs that did apparently transfer yesterday, they do not play.
The display on the phone counts through the number of songs on that particular artist's album and then I get a red circle and box next to the song title. AND the little circled "!" shows next to the songs on the iPhone library when viewed on the computer. So, it's 'looking' for the songs, correct? But they're in the itunes library ON the computer...

So, I just deleted all the songs on the phone and will start over, but if there are any guidelines to prevent or fix this issue, please do share...

thanks for reading this lengthy attempt at clarity...:)

david

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OK, I think I understand but I dont think you read the link in my reply called Writing A Quality Post. It would be handy to at least know the Operating System on both your iPhone and Laptop.
Methods and capabilities vary from one OS and iOS to another.
Still this is how I do it and how I think Apple imagines we should do it.
When you connect your iPhone/iPad to your laptop and iTunes is opened you will see in the side menu bar a list (expand it if you dont) of Music, Pictures, Info etc.
Click on Music and you will have a window which has two options. One option is; to load only checked playlists, artists, genres etc. I have this selected.
Scroll through the options in the boxes below and select what you wish to load onto your device. If you wish to load single tracks from an album you can place singe tracks into a Playlist on the iTunes main window called eg Single Tracks. To load them onto your device just select Single Tracks from the Playlists box.
If you are using the Manually Manage Music and Movies option I assume it's to allow adding to your music from a different computer without erasing the library you already have BUT iTunes will not let you transfer purchased music (from iTunes) from another iTunes account (music library) to an unauthorised device. That would allow wholesale copyright infringement and illegal copies of everything iTunes sells. :Mischievous:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just as FYI: "Manually Manage" does not permit you to use 2 different computers to sync music on an iPhone nor even from different iTunes Libraries on the same computer.

After my initial sync with a new device (which is typically to restore from my last backup), I use manaully manage on all my iDevices. Not sure I've run into the problem described, but would try powering down the phone and restart it - delete the songs that apparently did not copy and try moving them again.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.