new to macs. got a few questions

Reaction score
1) i have stuffit extractor to unzip things, but does anyone know a good program to zip/rar stuff? i like to upload on a music forum that uses yousendit/megaupload and need to know how to zip stuff

2) on windows computers you can right click on the C drive and do a disk cleanup to free up a bunch of temporary files and what not. i know i used to deleted tons of stored internet stuff and gain a bunch of space. now id like to conserve space on this little 80 gig so do macs store files in the same way? and how can i delete these?

3) would like a recomendation of a good media player, i got vlc but it doesnt like to play wmv files for me, it always says wmv3 error or something to that effect, and i have an intel mac so flip 4 mac doesnt work for me, thought i tried that running it through rosetta thing, and it works just way slower.

4) on our windows computers i used to use dvd shrink and dvd decrypt to rip and burn dvds. im assuming they dont make the programs for macs, so any one know a good program for breakin that pesky security they put on dvds?

ok i know those are some half arsed questions, but i am very tired. id appreciate any help yalls can lend. THANKS!!!!

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
ooo something else to add. when im browsin' the internet if i move the scroll bar around while the page is loading sometimes parts of the page will be scrabled up, and i have to highlight the scrabled part in order for it to make itself normal. any idea what that's from? it happens in both firefox and safari.

L

lil

1. Select the files you want (either click the mouse on the icon and press command/apple and hold, and click another etc.; or click and drag a 'rubber band' over icons) and then either click right mouse (or control+mouse click) to get the popup menu and select 'Create Archive' or go to the Finder's File menu and select Create Archive.

This makes a .zip archive of the files you selected. :flower:

2. Mac's manage their space a lot better, but if you want to clear the web cache, consult your web browser of choice's documentation. If you use Safari, you can go to the Safari application menu (that's the menu with Safari in bold) and 'Empty Cache...'

Otherwise keep the trash emptied and the Mac manages its space pretty well by itself.

3. Unfortunately until Flip4Mac is Intel native you will be a bit stuck. Do note that some WMA/WMV files cannot be played as they are protected by DRM and there is no decoder for these files; at least in legal channels/solutions.

Your best choice right now is to use an excellent little app called EasyWMA. It may cost $10 (virtually nothing in my book) and it is Universal. This converts many WMA files to MP3 for use in iTunes and anything else.

http://www.easywma.com

4. There are indeed programs to do this; MacTheRipper is an excellent one in my book. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

And your second post's answer...

I have never noticed this myself and I use Safari. I have a PowerBook G4 so it's not an Intel Mac like yours but I have never noticed corruption of the page whilst it is still downloading and started to scroll.

When it gets corrupted from scrolling, does it correct itself by itself when it has finished downloading or does it remain corrupted?

Anyway, enjoy that new Mac Mini; I may be getting one at the end of the year/next year when more and more apps come out for Intel. Do you have the solo or duo?

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have a Core Duo Mac Mini and I have not noticed that behavior with Safari.

Just so I understand, you're moving the mouse around while the page is loading? This may be a play on the old "Doc, it hurts when I do this"/"So don't do that" bit, but why would you play with the scroll bars while a site is loading? :)

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
well im not just moving the page around for now reason. lol. its when im moving the bar to get to the bottom because thats where i want to go, although that makes sense with the whole dont do it if it messes things up, i still dont think it should be messing up in the first place. if this makes any sense, i would relate this situation to going to the doctor because it hurts everytime i walk, i would hate to accept his answer being, well just dont walk. :eek: thanks though for responding. maybe if i got the dvi cable? that would help?

and @ lil, thanks for the tips, scambled parts of the page get to be normal if i click my mouse and highlight over the stuff. i really have no idea whats up with that

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
ok, heres a new bit of info. the page just got scrambled when i scrolled after it was already loaded. i have no idea whats goin on with this thing.

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
heres a screen shot. lol just figured out how to do it!

Picture1.jpg

Reaction score
It is probably poor coding on the web desginers side. Why not just download WMP from Microsoft fo Mac.

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
Jammers said:
It is probably poor coding on the web desginers side. Why not just download WMP from Microsoft fo Mac.
i did, i really did not like it, and when i went to delete it, it wouldnt let me delete all the files.

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
hm, yeah it only does that to me in safari, firefox works fine. though id like to solve the problem with safari cos i think i like it better. it seems to start up quicker. i should add that i turned popupblocker on in safari, im not sure if most people do that, but just thought id add that i have it on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
To play protected DRM wmv files you can just download the WMP for Mac version (its on the Microsoft website)

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
Beemer said:
To play protected DRM wmv files you can just download the WMP for Mac version (its on the Microsoft website)
RiseAbove24 said:
Jammers said:
i did, i really did not like it, and when i went to delete it, it wouldnt let me delete all the files.
^^^^^

Reaction score
You should report the bug click safari in the top left hand corner and send the picture and explain. I'm inarticulate (haha)

Reaction score
Question - does the safari thing happen to you when you use the mighty mouse scrollball or the scrollbar on safari itself? or can you reproduce the problem with both?

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
hm, i dont have a mighty mouse, just the wireless one. so no scroll ball. so yeah it just happens when i use the blue scroll bar on the right... & lawl its kewl articulate or not dont worry cos I UNDERSTAND YOU MAN!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.