• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple "Spring Forward" Event

C

chas_m

Say what you wish but sir, you are wrong.

Tell you what. Let's check back on this thread in a year, and see where the stock price is, how many Macs Apple is selling, and what the best-selling portable from them is. I'm betting you're the one that's wrong, and that the answers will be up, up, and the MacBook.

If I'm wrong, I'll say so. If you're wrong, you owe me an apology.

Deal?

C

chas_m

Are those people still not "getting it:" I put the costly watch link in this thread just to show that there is a market for a $10,000-plus watch. This is not meant to be a direct comparison nor justification for Apple Watch pricing. It's just there to make you aware of a market that some of you clearly weren't aware of, but does not deserve your ridicule just because you can't afford it or don't think it's worth it to you.

Most of the people reading this message have some stupid, pointless, or otherwise niche obsession or interest that has cost them, over time, far more money than an Apple Watch ever will. We don't sit around making fun of you because of it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Tell you what. Let's check back on this thread in a year, and see where the stock price is, how many Macs Apple is selling, and what the best-selling portable from them is. I'm betting you're the one that's wrong, and that the answers will be up, up, and the MacBook.

Deal?

You are misquoting me. I said you were WRONG on the performance of that 1.1 Ghz CPU in the thing and I am not wrong!!! :D You are too much! :D

The sheep will always follow apple, so I am sure they will have even more money in a year, but that does not make that 1.1Ghz CPU and overall performance of that machine a good deal for the price.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Many things cost more than is justifiable based solely on components. A friend of mine who got divorced sold his gold wedding ring. No one buys second hand wedding rings, so you only get scrap value for it, which was about a tenth of the price he had paid just three years earlier. The 'Edition' Watch is clearly intended to be a status symbol but it is not unprecedented: Four Vertu Gold Cell Phone Unveiled. I wouldn't buy one, but there are people who will.

I am unsure about the Apple Watch, but I know that it has potential and I want it to succeed. If no one buys the gen 1 product, there won't be a gen 2. I don't know the figures for the iPhone 5C but it only had the 12 month run so presumably that was considered a failure by Apple and there won't be any more.

The only bind is that the model I want is the space black steel one...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Deal?
I see that you're sticking with the "the more something sells, the better it is." I'm not really sure how that's a defensible argument but so be it. I'm intrigued why finances trump technical merit when talking about technology but everyone is entitled to (flawed) justifications that they prefer.

It's just there to make you aware of a market that some of you clearly weren't aware of, but does not deserve your ridicule just because you can't afford it or don't think it's worth it to you.
I'm sure we're all well aware that you can buy products in any category that are beyond our respective income levels. And really, we aren't allowed to critique things because we feel as though it's too expensive? I take it then that you'd reserve judgment for a $100,000 Android phone or a $100,000 Windows machine because "you can't afford it or don't think it's worth it to you."

Bottom line: cost of something does not insulate it from critique. If you gave me a $2 steak and a $10,000 steak, I'd subject both to my sense of taste and pleasure.

Most of the people reading this message have some stupid, pointless, or otherwise niche obsession or interest that has cost them, over time, far more money than an Apple Watch ever will. We don't sit around making fun of you because of it.
Seeing as how the watch isn't available, it's hard to mock people for owning something that they can't. Secondly, no one is making fun of anyone who wants a watch. No one. We've been discussing the watch as a piece of technology, not as something personal (again, however much Cook wants to position it as "personal," it's still just a piece of technology).

I know you ardently defend Apple but I'm curious to know why this is so personal for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
i've read through the 3 pages and been to the Apple site and still I wonder, Can the watch surf the internet?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I don't think it can. Watching a demo where the Apple Genius zooms out on the Watch home screen you can see literally dozens of apps but none show the Safari symbol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I can see "Watch" versions 2 and 3 etc, coming because this one is a "baby" in design. I can justify 8 or 900 dollars for a disposable iPhone because my carrier pickes up the cost if I sign a 2 or 3 year service contract. By the time the contract ends i'm excited about the new innovations my new free phone has. This will not be the case with the Watch. I have a few very expensive watches, that will last a lifetime, and always have some re-sale value in the future. I find it hard to wrap my head around this first version, at this price point, a product that is obsolete before it even hits the shelves.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I imagine that the experience wasn't far off (although that's much funnier). I imagine someone must have pointed out how limited the machine was in spite of an executive that probably said, "screw it, build it...the profit margins are too high to care about trivial details..."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I imagine that the experience wasn't far off (although that's much funnier). I imagine someone must have pointed out how limited the machine was in spite of an executive that probably said, "screw it, build it...the profit margins are too high to care about trivial details..."

Agreed. And they know that there is a certain segment of apologists (ahem) that will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. So, why not?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed. And they know that there is a certain segment of apologists (ahem) that will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. So, why not?

And the Logo does not even Glow any longer! Bummer! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some of you will appreciate this, many of you will not. But I just about lost it....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153223388759063

Looks like a disgruntled employee to me. I don't think that the "engineer" person (guy with mustache & missing 50% of his teeth). Can say those things (and in the manner he said them)…and still keep his job (or maybe he lost it prior to the TV show).

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like a disgruntled employee to me. I don't think that the "engineer" person (guy with mustache & missing 50% of his teeth). Can say those things (and in the manner he said them)…and still keep his job (or maybe he lost it prior to the TV show).

- Nick

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was satire.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty sure the whole thing was satire.

Ok…that makes me feel better.:) Not being familiar with the show's format…or what the setup info was for the "interview"…I wasn't 100% sure.

I was thinking if it was real…Apple must have a pretty bad dental plan!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB

Do you have have a clue as to the time, effort, thought and money it takes to design a notebook like that? There are many better alternatives if short-term profit what Apple is after.

This is clearly the first Apple product that:

a. Isn't cheap.
b. Takes "bold" steps in omitting aging technology.
c. Adds new features that provide a better experience.
d. Is made well, using quality materials.

Since it's so unique wrt the above, this MacBook must have profit written all over it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you saying the MagSafe is Aging tech? Ever trip over your power adapter cord on a PC and have it hit the ground?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have have a clue as to the time, effort, thought and money it takes to design a notebook like that? There are many better alternatives if short-term profit what Apple is after.

This is clearly the first Apple product that:

a. Isn't cheap.
b. Takes "bold" steps in omitting aging technology.
c. Adds new features that provide a better experience.
d. Is made well, using quality materials.

Since it's so unique wrt the above, this MacBook must have profit written all over it.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.