5th gen Airport Extreme, Comcast Xfinity internet, which modem should I buy?

Reaction score
Hello. I want to buy a modem and stop renting from Comcast. I did a search, and found that the Motorolla Surfboard SB 6141 is supposedly the most recommended, but after another search, I found a lot of people having problems with that modem and the Airport Extreme. The internet was being dropped, and it appeared to be incompatible firmware (I think). After replacing the Airport Extreme, sometimes more than once, a few of them replaced the modem with the Zoom 5341. That apparently fixed the problem.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any problems with either of these modems working together along with Comcast and their Airport Extremes. Is there another modem that might work better under these circumstances? I live in Savannah, GA. (Comcast pretty much sucks here anyway, but the only other choice is much slower and more expensive ATT&T. The fastest speed they have is 6mbps. With Comcast my speed is generally over 50mbps.)

Thanks bunches!

~K

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did a search, and found that the Motorolla Surfboard SB 6141 is supposedly the most recommended, but after another search, I found a lot of people having problems with that modem and the Airport Extreme.

You're going to find with internet searching…you will ALWAYS find folks having some sort of problems with ANY piece of hardware. If the Motorola Surfboard is the "most recommended"…then it's the "most recommended".:)

Which means any other modem model will be "less recommended" for one reason or another. And if you do a search for other modems…you will find folks having problems with them too.

Just like a lot of things on the internet. You can always find folks having problems with any product. These problems can be actual problems…or they can be "problems" due to user-error. This is why professional reviews can be a BIG help. And hopefully the "most recommended" info came from a professional review that reviewed various cable modem products (compared & contrasted).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are getting 50mbps I would stay there.

OP
J
Reaction score
Harry, I wasn't really planning on switching service, just saying, that's the only other service available here. There is no real competition.

But I did want to know about different modems working with Airport Extreme routers. Apparently the Motorola modem has problems with all kinds of routers, so I was wondering about other brands. Anyway.

Thanks for the input.

~K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have the same Motorola modem and I am using it with the current AirPort Extreme. My carrier is WOW, not Comcast (thank heavens for living in an area with a choice!). The modem/router combination works flawlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have used Linskys, Netgear and many others, currently TP-LINK and they all work well. Check the price differences between N and AC speeds, and go for a dual channel 2.4 and 5GHz model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.