No prompt for public wifi username and password

Reaction score
I work in coffee shops a lot, and I always struggle to connect to the internet. I can connect my MacBook Pro to the network with no trouble, but I never get the prompt for a username and password. In order to use the internet I need to reboot, open my browser, and type something into the url bar. Then it finally takes me to the wifi login page.

I don't have the same issue with secure networks. It's only public networks that require login details.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is simply the way the WiFi router has been set up. Security settings need to be changed to allow login via WEP password. However this would prevent just anyone from using it without first obtaining the network name and password from staff. Usually the "owner" would change that password every week. The "Public" setup is popular because it times out leaving bandwidth for other users and lets face it, users in a coffee shop often don't bother to log out. So you may see it as a pain but from the administrators point of view it saves a lot of work.
Having said all that you shouldn't have to reboot or do you mean "relaunch" the browser?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I was clear about the issue.

I understand how the network is set up and why. When I buy my coffee I am given a piece of paper with a username and password so I can use the wifi. I sit down, connect to the network and...nothing. There should be a prompt for username and password so I can log in, right? That's how it works on my phone, but my mac never gives me the prompt. I have to reboot the computer and type something in to the browser to get a prompt so that I can log in.

Reaction score
No.

It's called this.

Most coffee shops have 2 internet service providers DSL OR Cable if there using a DSL system most that are run by AT&T And Verizon Require you to be a customer to get wireless access for free or they charge you from a website on which you have to log into.

They do this from access points located at Starbucks and other coffee venues.

If they have a cable service most likely there using a outdated router or modem router combo that cannot keep up with the high demand of the network.

C

chas_m

It's irregular. Some places cause a separate pop-up window to appear to let you log in, others require you play the game of trying to go somewhere in your web browser ... perhaps a few times ... before the sign-in page appears.

Under no circumstances will rebooting the computer have anything to do with it. That's just an extra thing you made up that you think you have to do, but it is not necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Have you tried turning wifi off/on? Might be a quicker solution.

I often run into the same issue as the OP and this is how I deal with it. It works almost every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I suspect your problem is that your mac is remembering the network and settings.. When you go back and try to connect it is "holding" the settings from the last time but the router has already cleared you out.

Resetting your computer clears the cache and now forces your computer to request a new ip address instead of trying to use the last ip and settings it had when on the network.

A quicker and easier fix that might work would to open your system preferences -> network -> advanced -> TCP/IP tab and click "Renew DHCP Lease". That will force your computer to request a new ip address. Won't hurt and might just save you resetting your computer.

That is if what Ferrarr suggested doesn't work because it should do the same thing.

Lisa

Reaction score
I've had this same problem carry forward via Time Machine from an older macbook pro to my current one, through OS updates as well. It just happened to me again this morning and I would love to resolve it.

At a new (to me) coffee shop, my iPhone connected without a problem. I joined the network, got the password prompt, entered the password, and was on the network. So it's clearly an issue with my computer and not the network itself.

On my laptop, I joined the network but never got the password prompt. Sometimes going to a specific router address (192.168.n.n:nnnn) works for me in other locations, but none of the ones I tried worked at this location.

I renewed the DHCP lease, deleted the network and tried connecting again, and even rebooted. Nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.