Beer on MacBook

Reaction score
I should have read about what to do after spilled water into the Mac book pro. Basically I spilled some beer on my keyboard, I immediately tried to dry it and put it upside down. However I was super anxious to see if it was working, so I sat it on and was working fine, but suddenly it went of. I tried one more time to put it on, and nothing. Now my MacBook is upside down on top of a cotton towel with a fan working on the direction of the keyboard. What shoul I do? Shoul I go as soon as possible to an apple store or shoul I continue with the fan?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think the best chance may be too pray.

Beer is full of sugar which damages the logic board even more than liquid. If the logic board is shot, maybe $700 to replace which makes it a very dear can of beer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Think the best chance may be too pray.

Beer is full of sugar which damages the logic board even more than liquid. If the logic board is shot, maybe $700 to replace which makes it a very dear can of beer.

Harry - LOL! :) Maybe a Foster's? Dave ;)

r

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think I'd probably try giving it a soak in some distilled water at least, preferably with the power and battery removed, and then let it dry for several days.

It can't hurt as it's already basically kaput. ;)

But I wouldn't try the sometimes mentioned dishwasher rinse method without using any detergent soap. :(

C

chas_m

Beer is sugars + acid. There's very little chance your computer survived that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beer is sugars + acid. There's very little chance your computer survived that.

One never knows, especially when there are some pretty lame beers out there and not like the one's that you, I and probably harryb2448 like to enjoy. ;) :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not I ~ teetotaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If commiserating would help, I can share the time my daughter called me from college to say she spilled half a bottle of nail-polish remover on the keyboard of her MacBook Pro. If you think beer or soda wreak mayhem inside a computer, you should see what acetone does.

Thankfully, we were able to salvage almost everything from her hard drive, and she's made it into grad school without trashing her replacement MBP.

I am a firm believer in keyboard protectors and keeping all liquids an arm's length from the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What, a teetotaller in Australia!!! :eek:

No way, and I didn't think such a thing could or does actually exist! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If commiserating would help, I can share the time my daughter called me from college to say she spilled half a bottle of nail-polish remover on the keyboard of her MacBook Pro. If you think beer or soda wreak mayhem inside a computer, you should see what acetone does.

Thankfully, we were able to salvage almost everything from her hard drive, and she's made it into grad school without trashing her replacement MBP.

I am a firm believer in keyboard protectors and keeping all liquids an arm's length from the computer.

That might have been a Oh my God situation and maybe some melted or distorted plastic parts and some keys, but it actually evaporates fast and is often used for cleaning circuit boards. Not so for beer I'm afraid with all it's additives, organic or not!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What, a teetotaller in Australia!!! :eek:

No way, and I didn't think such a thing could or does actually exist! ;D

Another thing you didn't know eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
That might have been a Oh my God situation and maybe some melted or distorted plastic parts and some keys, but it actually evaporates fast and is often used for cleaning circuit boards. Not so for beer I'm afraid with all it's additives, organic or not!! ;)

I was looking at a (literally) melted keyboard, melted components on the logic board, and a few burned parts inside where the Magic Smoke™ had escaped. She said the remover was only on the computer for a few seconds and she flipped the computer over to dump it out, but the damage was already done.

Moral of the story: no liquids, industrial strength or not. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.