• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why switch to a Mac?

D

daga5831

I'm debating whether or not to get a Mac (leaning towards the Intel iMac), but the 10 reasons listed on apple.com/switch aren't very convincing :p. I'm exceptionally computer literate, so the easy setup stuff has no impact on my decision. Also, I've been using mostly Linux for a while, so I'm used to not having to deal with spyware/malware/viruses, so that's another factor that has no impact on the decision.

I DO like the visuals (both hardware and interface), but that alone isn't worth dropping over $1500 CAD ($1700 after taxes).

Can anyone give me a push towards Apple? I need more reasons to justify buying one :p

Thanks in advance :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Honestly, I can't say you should. I've had the philosophy that if your current OS works for you, you don't need a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I think if Apple had a rental plan, they have folks switching like crazy. You just have to use it to like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
to_tough_to_die said:
Honestly, I can't say you should. I've had the philosophy that if your current OS works for you, you don't need a new one.

I agree with this statement, however you seam to want to take the jump, but are scared financially of the decision. This is my advice.
Every day, when you get home, start putting money in a safe place, all the extra money you have. Where it be 25 cents, 100$, this is the money you won't miss if you lost it on the street. Then when you have saved enough to make the switch just do it. This way you are not worrying about the money because it is left over money not money you could have spent else where. This could take a long time and until then you are happy with the current system you have. This is what I do and it works for me, and the plus side to this is that the longer it takes you to save up the money.. the better the system will be when you can afford it, because technology is always getting better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
If you're worried about finances...stay away...far away...from apple branded crack! You won't stop buying...and upgrading...and dreaming...and drooling...and on...and on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I've convinced most of my computer literate friends to either buy a mac, or at least respect them instead of automatically saying "Macs suck"-even though the have never used one.

My reasons are:

Security (you already knew this)

You're being different, one of the same reasons I loved Linux.

UNIX!!! The other reason I loved Linux, but with the Mac it's UNIX under the hood but eye candy on the surface. It looks cool, surprises me with abilities all the time, and still has the UNIX underpinnings so I can run Terminal and play around!

Even though I am a comp sci major, and know a LOT about computers, it is still cool to be able to just drag and drop stuff (because I know the work it takes to actually program that type of functionality!) and expose is such a time saver I don't know how I lived without it.

Also, Quicksilver changed my computing life. It takes a while to learn, but once you do, it is invaluable. I simply type "alt-space th tab co return" and automatically, I have opened my email program, and started to 'co'mpose a new message to be sent to 'th'omas. Or say I have iTunes playing music in the background while working..."alt-space i tab n" and I can do 'i'Tunes 'n'ext song! If you are like me and use the keyboard a lot, it is awesome to be able to do so much without moving your hands. It's hard to explain the program without you actually using it.

I like to use the best:

Linux for servers
Mac for personal use
Windows for solitaire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
how about this spin on it then.

os X is where linux will be in about 5/6 years time, the interface is the most copied one of all time. While i did use linux and still would if i had another machine i found it could be a pain to ge simple stuff working all the time.

You have the same power of linux underneath (as mentioned before) but with a very pretty machine and then you can say that your as cool as the rest of us guys on here :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I think what everyone is saying is... there is no reason to switch to a mac if your fine using your other computers. Regardless if you choose a mac or not, you will be welcome here.

OP
D

daga5831

claudius753 said:
I've convinced most of my computer literate friends to either buy a mac, or at least respect them instead of automatically saying "Macs suck"-even though the have never used one.

I used to think that Macs sucked, but considering the fact that the last one I used was a Lime 333MHz G3, I think that's fair :p. Before that, all I used were the OLD OLD Macs (can't remember the name) when I was in elementary and middle school. But the newer Macs running OS-X look SPECTACULAR, and they claim to come with some pretty decent software. And the fact that Blizzard games have Mac ports doesn't hurt either ;) - most of the games I play are from Blizzard, so this may be a chance for me to COMPLETELY ditch WinXP (I've kept a partition for games, as gaming is a little shakey under Linux).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
daga5831 said:
so this may be a chance for me to COMPLETELY ditch WinXP
That would be a foolish thing to do, IMO. Why would you want to limit your abilities and computing options? I use both Windows and Mac and have the best of both worlds that way.
I have said this before several times, and I will say it again....

Don't SWITCH.... instead WIDEN your options and use multiple systems if you want to get a Mac.

I also agree with the idea
that if your current OS works for you, you don't need a new one.
If someone needs "pushing" or "convincing" or some other way to "justify" getting a Mac (or anything for that matter, computers or otherwise), then they don't really need one or want one.
You either want it or you don't want it.
So, good luck in your decision whatever that may be.

:black:

OP
D

daga5831

D3v1L80Y said:
If someone needs "pushing" or "convincing" or some other way to "justify" getting a Mac (or anything for that matter, computers or otherwise), then they don't really need one or want one.
You either want it or you don't want it.

I definitely want one, but seeing as there's no need, I'm having trouble deciding to drop $1700 on a toy for myself (and that's with the $100 student discount). But I was thinking of stopping at BestBuy on my way home from school tomorrow and playing around with the iMacs they have set up. Maybe that'll push me over the edge :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
daga5831 said:
I'm debating whether or not to get a Mac ... Can anyone give me a push towards Apple? I need more reasons to justify buying one :p

I work on Solaris boxes, geek on OpenBSD boxes, game and record TV on my Windows box and have a couple of others too. My Mac is my computer of choice for making my computing life easy. I find it reliable and easy & quick to use. Apple takes care of the patching and security and I just keep on keeping on. :)

That's the best reason I can give an experienced user of non-Windows boxes to use a Mac. As for full time Windows users, I'll leave that for another discussion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.