My applications don't work HELP!

Reaction score
I am running os x Yosemite. I have 480 GB of available storage. Every application i use (except safari terminal and text edit) is not working. For example, if I open Photo Booth, nothing happens. I press cmd+opt+esc and it says not responding. then i have to force quit. This happens with every other program. In audacity i can open it and record things. but if i save the project, i get a beach ball and i have to force quit. If i try to make a video call in Skype, same thing. All of these also happen with the adobesuite. No program will work. For some reason, the programs only work in safe boot. I tried verifying and repairing disk permissions. I tried making another user account, but the same thing happened. That did not work. I tried uninstalling everything program on my mac (except default programs). I even went as far as reinstalling os x all together. Not even that solved the problem. My mac had to be taken back to the store. They said nothing was wrong with it. What could be the problem. I don't think it's a hardware issue. Don't think it could be a software issue either because I reinstalled the entire os. So what could be the problem? I don't to us my computer in safe boot because my Wacom tablet will not work and the computer will be slow. Please give me a solution. This mac is the only computer I have and I need it to animate. Here are links to 2 videos so you can see the problem for yourself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=por7J_2e8sQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzCRJNfl0BA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't think it's a hardware problem and you don't think it's a software problem. I guess that leaves gremlins or aliens as the cause of your problems? ;)

It appears to be a hardware problem from your description - symptoms indicate it could be the hard drive that's failing. Run a verify on the hard drive and let us know the results. You can do that by booting to your recovery partition. Hold down the command and r keys and reboot. When you enter recovery, select utilities, Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That seems a bit odd that almost nothing works with a normal boot, but just about everything does with a Safe Boot, and that would normally indicate a software conflict problem.

Try creating a new "testuser" and use it to login and test. But the Mac may be too corrupt for that to work.

And what's the difference for "nothing wrong" at the Apple Store, and the "everything's wrong" when you get it home. That seems a bit odd and goofy. ;)

Reaction score
Question please.

Which version of macbook 2009 2008 ???

Was wondering because you could be facing a major issue if its a 2009 its not only that it could be a hard drive failure it could also be the gpu is going out the gpu in the 2009 is also connected to the drive controller card if the drive is going out you would see no boot or a application that just bombs and hangs like what is going on with you.

However the gpu if its going out then you are in trouble it basically means time for a new machine.

Go into disk utility and look at your hard drive and see if it lists it as seagate if its a seagate its a hard drive failure seagates fail like crazy

C

chas_m

Tell us about things you have installed on the computer, particularly any "cleaner" programs, "anti-virus" programs, or "language removal" programs.

OP
A
Reaction score
Tell us about things you have installed on the computer, particularly any "cleaner" programs, "anti-virus" programs, or "language removal" programs.

The only things that were on my mac were: default mac programs, adobe CS5 suite, audacity, and Skype. All of these worked fine at first. But then they stopped working for some reason. But even when I erased everything and reinstalled yosemite, the same problem still persists. The only way my applications work is if i'm i safe boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.