Publisher equivalent for Mac

Reaction score
I love my Mac. My only frustration is that I can't find a suitable replacement for Microsoft Publisher. Im a UK teacher and use Publisher a lot. I have tried iStudio but don't like it vey much, any suggestions?
Nic

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Nic

Welcome to the forums. I'm also from the UK. I have used iStudio in the past and found it met my limited needs, but individual preferences are important and it didn't suit you.

Below are several sites you might like to link in to which discuss the very question you pose and suggest a range of other options. I have no personal experience with these, but hope you find what you are looking for.

Microsoft Office - Publisher Alternatives for Mac OS X - AlternativeTo.net
What Is the Mac Equivalent to Microsoft Publisher? | Chron.com
software recommendation - Microsoft Publisher: Mac Equivalent? - Ask Different

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I love my Mac. My only frustration is that I can't find a suitable replacement for Microsoft Publisher. Im a UK teacher and use Publisher a lot. I have tried iStudio but don't like it vey much, any suggestions?nic

I'm surprised you don't like iStudio. I've used MS Publisher for years while on Windows and while it's easy to use, I find it way over priced for what it will do. I discovered iStudio while looking for a substitute for the Mac and have been using it since.

Access the Mac App Store and browse around. There are several publisher like apps that you might like. Apple Pages has a layout mode which does well for simple publishing such as bulletins, flyers, and the like. You might give that a try.

C

chas_m

<rant>Microsoft Publisher was the bane of anyone who worked seriously in the graphic arts, particularly for printers. It is an awful program that is incapable of producing anything remotely professional-looking. In 20 years in the print industry not only did I never see a single piece of Publisher-produced material that looked remotely acceptable for professional print standards, I also never encountered a single file made by that wretched program that reproduced colour faithfully or was with severe technical issues when converted to pro systems. We often ended up re-creating the piece (minus the usually-garish colour choices and childish "type art") in Quark Xpress or Pagemaker/InDesign just to get something that would actually reproduce properly. On top of this, it converted to NOTHING except PDF (horribly off on colour, naturally) and would not play with even with Windows systems or other Microsoft programs. Horrible, horrible program. Maybe it got better in later versions, but there are few things not currently serving in Congress I loathe with the same hatred I have for MS (or "Mess") Publisher.</rant>

Not directed at the OP. Just had to get that out of my system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@chas:

MS Publisher was never intended to be used for professionally printed documents. And while I agree with some of your comments, I have to add that the program is very popular with small businesses, churches, and the like. It's easy to use and comes with a wealth of templates. Some of the negatives: Way overpriced unless you purchased the business version of Office for Windows, proprietary format, and bloated install.

And as you know, I usually recommend iStudio Publisher (native Mac app) because I have found that it will do everything that MS Publisher can do at a small fraction of the cost. The only drawback to iStudio Publisher is the small amount of templates that the program ships with. But considering the cost, that's understandable.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I wonder if the OP, Nic, has had time to read about and maybe consider some of the other apps discussed in my Links in post #3?

As I mentioned, I only have personal experience of iStudio which suited my needs, but there seem to be plenty of others....

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.