Question about cam built into iMac...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I use my current computer (a windows machine) to watch my house when I'm at work and I use my built in webcam as the camera...I have my screen to turn off after X amount of minutes but the camera/computer remain on and I'm able to pull up a web browser or on my phone wherever I am and I can see a live stream of my house.

I wanted to know if this would work the same way with my iMac when I buy it? I want to be able to have the camera on/computer staying on but the screen to turn off for obvious reasons (no need to run the screen if I'm not there looking at it:) Is this possible to do or will the camera but shut off automatically when the screen turns off?

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Is it necessary to have to install an app just to make that work? It doesn't work just with Mac OS X?

OP
D
Reaction score
Just to clarify things, I don't need software to make my cam work, I work off a website that streams the cam, I don't need any software, it's a flash based site.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
D
Reaction score
It's not unusual, let me address this another way. Will the cam stay on if my screen sleeps (but the system itself is set to NEVER sleep?) This might be easier to understand this way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not unusual...

Yes it is unusual!;)

This sort of thing may be common in the Windows World…but I'm telling you in my almost 7 years of being on Mac-Forums (and MANY more years as a Mac user)…I cannot remember anyone asking this question (using a Mac's built-in camera as a security camera while the display is asleep).

So again…yes it is unusual. And being "unusual" is not a bad thing!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Windows it's just way I use my computer. Some people broadcast their life online on live cam sites for instance, well they don't need the display on if they are not sitting at it, so that could be one reason. Another reason is using it to show whatever room your mac is in live if you are not home, whatever the reason all I'm trying to find out is if my cam is ON will it remain ON if my screen goes to sleep, that's all I'm asking.

Note that I'm not referring to the SYSTEM going to sleep, just the SCREEN!

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not unusual, let me address this another way. Will the cam stay on if my screen sleeps (but the system itself is set to NEVER sleep?) This might be easier to understand this way.

And by the way. At least on my part…there was no confusion in what you were/are trying to do.:)

Also one question. Is the answer to this question a "deal-breaker" in terms of whether you purchase this iMac or not?

If it is not a deal-breaker…and if you do not get a clear answer to your question in this thread. Once you get your iMac…you can test things for yourself…an then you will know 100%.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Nick, yes it's a deal breaker, I want my cam to be able to be on if my screen is sleeping (I don't want to state all my reasons lol.)

Why don't you test it out for me on your Mac? :) Turn your cam on, set your screen to sleep after X amount of minutes and keep your system set to NEVER SLEEP and let me know if it stays on or not. If you don't mind...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has nothing to do with Windows it's just way I use my computer.

You are totally reading something in the replies that is not written or being suggested. No one is questioning how YOU use your computer!;)

What we are discussing is whether something that can be done on a Windows computer (running Windows of course)…can also be done on a Macintosh computer running OS X.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yea I get that but I'm not asking a complicated question, it's pretty straight forward.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, yes it's a deal breaker, I want my cam to be able to be on if my screen is sleeping (I don't want to state all my reasons lol.)

WOW. I hope this isn't the main reason you're thinking of switching from Windows to a Mac! I'm surprised you're saying this is a deal-breaker. Most folks make the switch to Apple/Mac's because they are looking forward to the simplicity, stability, ease of use, much less problems with malware…and things just work.

And anything else is a bonus (such as this webcam stuff you are interested in).:) I wouldn't expect someone to spend $1000-$1500 or more on an iMac…and let something like this webcam thing be a deal-breaker. Since even if it did not work with the iMac's built-in camera…you could always use an external web-cam.:)

Why don't you test it out for me on your Mac? :) Turn your cam on, set your screen to sleep after X amount of minutes and keep your system set to NEVER SLEEP and let me know if it stays on or not. If you don't mind...

I already did.:) But I'm not able to 100% test things (to make sure it works exactly the way you want)…since I do not have a 2nd device setup to view things over the internet to confirm 100% that it works.

What I can tell you is…the webcam light does stay on when the display goes to sleep…but the computer is still on/operating.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I get that but I'm not asking a complicated question, it's pretty straight forward.

I'm not trying to be super critical or anything….but you are only viewing things from your perspective. It only seems uncomplicated or straight-forward from your end…because you already have this setup working on your Windows computer.

What we don't know yet 100%…is if what you want to do will work on a Mac. Since you do not own a Macintosh computer…you do not know what is or what is not possible on a Mac.

What may be EASY to do on a Windows computer…may not be easy to do on a Mac. What you also do not realize yet (as a non-Mac owner) is…there are things that can be done on Windows computers that aren't always possible to do on Mac computers. And vice-versa.

This is one of the problems folks switching from a Windows computer have when switching to a Mac/OS X. Not everything that was "doable" on a Windows computer is always possible on a Macintosh computer (or maybe not doable in exactly the same way). When switching to a Mac…flexibility and being open minded are keys to a successful switch!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I'm not suggesting that what you want to do cannot be done on an iMac with its built-in webcam.:)

What I am saying is…this is an unusual question that I have not seen before on Mac-Forums. Thus (in my memory) there is not an easy/quick 100% definitive answer that I can "knee-jerk" rattle off. Like…"Sure no problem…it will definitely work!":)

I think that it is possible…we just haven't confirmed it 100% that it will work EXACTLY the way you want it to work.:) If this feature is a "deal-breaker". You certainly wouldn't want us to say…"Yes it will work". Then you buy a $1500 iMac…and then find out it doesn't work.

So we are just trying to be 100% sure it does work…BEFORE you spend $1500 bucks!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
OK Nick thanks for checking, the light staying on means that it probably works then:) I'm not trying to be a hard-*** so forgive me if I came across that way.

BTW I'm watching PCClassesonline right now on youtube (David Cox) teaching the Mac, I'm finding it very useful.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Nick thanks for checking, the light staying on means that it probably works then:) I'm not trying to be a hard-*** so forgive me if I came across that way.

I like to give folks an answer they can count on. That's why I may sound like I'm being less than 100% sure it will work (let's say I'm being 95% sure). Until you are able to test things on your end...setup exactly the way you want it to be...before being 100% sure.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.