Radiation or Health Concerns?

R

ryank2006

I'm using my new powerbook on my lap with a wi-fi connection for several hours a day. Are there any radiation warnings or other health issues I should be worrying about? The last thing I want is for this thing to fry my nuts. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I heard from one person that it is like a cell phone.. same type of radiation.. not the wifi, just the laptop itself.. but Im not sure about it since I havent heard anything else since.. I am using a lapdesk which I definitely reccommend!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It's an interesting question. I tend to use a piece of marble floor tile as a desk between me and my powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if it does have radiation.. your marble is a whole lot better than my lap desk :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lol, i wouldn't worry about radiation, you here alot of bad stories, but it really doesnt do much. All that radiation at high doses will do is increase your chances of developing cancer.
Things that are spuing out radiation:
Humans
Anything electrical
The Sun
pretty much everything.

How to increase your chances of gettin cancer:
Sitting on a microwave
Talking on your cell phone 24/7
eating sugar substitutes like aspertain.
hanging around hivoltage items
smoking
drinking
using anything that wears down your immune system or requires your body to exert itself making new cells.

How to lower your chances:
dont smoke
drink 2 or less glasses of wine.
only eat natural things, if it tastes sweet and it doesnt have sugar in it... thats no good.
use a LCD monitor rather than CTR

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use the marble desk, as a big heat sink.

OP
R

ryank2006

It is sort of irrational to worry about it, however, all this stuff is relatively new so no one really knows about the long-term effects(50 years, etc). I'll just choose to believe that it won't harm me and it won't. I just hope that in the future "laptop computer use" isn't added to Graphites' list in the previous post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I am of the oppositve mind set.. better safe than sorry :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
actually now that i think of it my left nut has shrunk after excessive use of my powerbook.

just kidding

OP
R

ryank2006

Will marble actually prevent radiation from going through? If it does, isn't there still radiation being shot at our face and chest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i think what little radiation there is emitted its frequency is so low that it just sorta dies out after short distances. i highly doubt we are talking about radiation you could bounce of a mirror and blind some guy

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ryank2006 said:
Will marble actually prevent radiation from going through? If it does, isn't there still radiation being shot at our face and chest?

I had some left over marble after doing my floor. The powerbook get very warm in your lap. So the marble tile is just the right side to use as a portable desk. ;)

I had not thought of any radiation, until now. At my age I don't plan to have any children. grand child is enough for me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I hadnt thought about radiation either, my powerbook was burning my legs.. and then I read up on the design of the powerbook and how it needed a flat surface, etc etc.. so I decided that since my powerbook ran really hot, that I needed a lapdesk. So I purchased one and I've never been happier.. for so many reasons! :) Now my PB get's plenty of air, I have a place to set my mouse, my lap isnt so hot.. Plus that much heat on that part of your body, could definitely kill and mangle my umm.. count of little murlyns.. :) And that doesnt include any type of radiation that we do and do not know about.. I just feel better about it :) Now I have a bluetooth headset for my cell phone which probably radiates a small bit of radiation, but I know it's a whole lot better than having the cellphone itself right up to my head. So if you are really worried about it.. get a lap desk, get a hunk of marble, a piece of wood, etc and use it. Like I said before.. better safe than sorry! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.