just installed 2nd hard drive into my Macbook Pro(late 2012) Cant get Yosemite on it

Reaction score
Hello,
I am sure many of you are familiar with replacing your superdrive/cddrive with an SSD using an SSD Caddy. Well I recently did this as well.

So for clarification, I now have the original Hard Drive AND the new SSD both installed into the computer at the same time.

My issue is, I am not sure what to do from here. Here is what I want to do but cant find how.

1. Clear off both hard drives completely.
2. Use the SSD for the Operating System(Yosemite) and for Applications. The original Hard Drive will be uses for extra onboard storage for photos and music.

I already have all the files i need backed up onto an external HD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am sure many of you are familiar with replacing your superdrive/cddrive with an SSD using an SSD Caddy. Well I recently did this as well.

2. Use the SSD for the Operating System(Yosemite) and for Applications. The original Hard Drive will be uses for extra onboard storage for photos and music.

Two things:

1. Was the SSD formatted for use with Macintosh computers?
2. If you're going to use the SSD for the OS and apps. You should install it in the HD bay…and move the original HD into the superdrive bay. The HD bay is faster.

- Nick

OP
brandonyoder
Reaction score
Two things:

1. Was the SSD formatted for use with Macintosh computers?
2. If you're going to use the SSD for the OS and apps. You should install it in the HD bay…and move the original HD into the superdrive bay. The HD bay is faster.

- Nick

Thank you for your quick reply.
1. Yes, I have formatted the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2. Are you sure that this is true for for the Mid 2012 model?

I followed this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_vk2wKwmzg

In an older tutorial on a 2010 MBP he did what you said...
But in this tutorial he just put the SSD in the optical drive bay and he said it works great.

As far as I know, Unbox Therapy is a pretty trusted youtube in the Mac World.

So again, Do you know for sure that the optical bay is slower?
Can anyone else confirm this also?

Thanks so much for your help guys.

OP
brandonyoder
Reaction score
Also, wether I'm in the wrong bay or not, I would still like to make my OS boot on the SSD.
I want to clear both hard drives completely and then make the OS run on the SSD.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advanced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, the optical bay usually uses a slower bus speed than the hard drive. And often it's still more than fast enough to saturate the HDD speed capabilities. Google can help here with some searching.

Also, check Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison @ EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 for the specs of your Mac. It will have all that info. And more info I'd guess on adding any SSD and/or any implications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.