How HOT is too HOT for a MAC MINI?

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Mac Mini

i7, 2.3 GHZ, 1TB Fusion HD and 10GB of RAM
Running: 10.9.3

Lately it has been running very hot when doing nothing. Right now I am just posting to this site, I have no flash video running, 1 tab open, no itunes and it is running at 210 F (99C) and the fan is blasting at 5500 RPM. It did not run this hot when I got it, I am thinking that it might have something to do with upgrading the OS to 10.9.3?? This seems much hotter than it should be for a computer that is doing nothing. I have taken the black cover off and blasted the dust out of it with my air can and it still continues to run hot. I know that intels will shut down to prevent damage when they get too hot, but is there anything I can do about this?
Is it worth taking it to the Apple store to have them look at it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that intels will shut down to prevent damage when they get too hot, but is there anything I can do about this?

The question shouldn't "What is too hot for a Mac-Mini?" The question should be…"Why is my Mac-Mini running so hot?". Especially given the details you listed that not much is open/running.

Go to "Activity Monitor"…and see how much "% CPU" resources are being used…and look thru the processes list…to see what's eating up so much CPU resources.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Cool that mini

Okay - So I did a little research in the past 30 minutes or so with the following results

I un-installed Send to Kindle - which was causing a process called BASH to run which uses up some CPU power

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3161754?tstart=0

I also went in a disabled every window bar icon/notifier I could
Adobe, Chrome, and so forth

Now she is running at 180f with 1700 rpm fan

so that's better - but still hot I think

I am going to power down and see if i can do a better cleaning by removing the fan and blasting it with compressed air again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.