URGENT: Turned on mid 2013 Macbook Air two minutes after water spilled on keyboard

Reaction score
Please hear me out!!! Today, I spilled some water on the right top corner of my mid 2013 Macbook Air by a swipe of my hand, while I was trying to move a glass of water away from my MBA. The disappointing thing is that I normally have a keyboard protector on, but sometimes when I am on my MBA for a long period of time, I take it off to try to avoid overheating, as well as to type faster.
I flipped the MBA upside down right away after the spill, took out the charger cable and manually shutout down. I vigorously wiped off water while it was turned upside down, which I regret doing so hard, because thinking back I was probably pushing the water farther underneath. Without reading previous threads, I turned my MBA on 2 minutes after the water spill, and searched "spilled water on MBA", which lead me to numerous results that say to "TURN OFF RIGHT AWAY" after the spill and let it dry. Before I turned it off, I noticed almost everything was fine, I was able to type in my password correctly to get into my laptop account, but the screen was flickering slightly (brightness was changing) with five noticeable blocks on the bottom left corner which look like the impression of keyboard keys as they were the same size. Right now, the MBA is drying upside down near a vent.
There were NO horizontal/vertical lines as I read some experienced after spills.

With every post I read about water spills, I feel like those who turned off the MBA right away, let it dry, and turned back on after several days, had perfect running laptops. I have yet to read someone with my situation who turned the laptop on 2 minutes after the spill with changes in brightness (flickering). I am just wondering if anyone had my situation happen to them. If so please share your outcomes whether they may be good or bad :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With every post I read about water spills, I feel like those who turned off the MBA right away, let it dry, and turned back on after several days, had perfect running laptops.

Not correct…not even close to being correct!:( Damage to a computer due to a liquid spill can occur in milliseconds. And no human in the world can react this quickly.

Nothing you wrote about this situation is unique. Please read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Not correct…not even close to being correct!:( Damage to a computer due to a liquid spill can occur in milliseconds. And no human in the world can react this quickly.

Nothing you wrote about this situation is unique. Please read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

- Nick

I was just wondering because my laptop was turned on almost immediately after the spill, and I have not read anyone doing that (from what I read people left it turned off for a couple days). I will look into the thread you suggested. I am new and I haven't read absolutely every post, so I do not know whether my situation is entirely unique. Sorry, if I am repeating. Anyways, if my screen is flickering, what is likely damaged?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry, if I am repeating. Anyways, if my screen is flickering, what is likely damaged?

The thread I linked is 18 pages long with folks who have had liquid spills. The vast majority of the situations in the thread are just like yours. Computer was working great before the spill…not so great after the spill.

Please read the thread. Your computer could have multiple problems (not just a flickering display). In most/many cases…the cost to repair a liquid damaged computer is more than most folks want to invest.

You have a 2013 MacBook Air…so it still has a pretty decent residual value. So maybe it is worth fixing. Head to your nearest Apple Store…and see what they think the repairs will cost. If the display & logic board are involved…you could be looking at anywhere from $800-$1000 for repairs.

Yes…not a very pretty number!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.