New Imac - shut down and restart dont work, it goes to the login window

Reaction score
I have a 5k iMac (4ghz i7, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon R9) running 10.10.1, that was purchased mid January 2015. It just started that when I click the shut down option or restart it just logs out and goes back to the user selection screen. I have been researching it for a few days and these are the things that I have tried with no luck so far. I have tried them all with all programs shut down and no external hardware other then keyboard and mouse hooked up.

1)I have hard reset it by holding the power button in the back until it cuts off. When I restart it, it still does it the next time I try.
2)I have also tried to do the system update to 10.10.2 and when it has to restart in order to load it, it just goes to the user selection screen. I have tried this with the update and redownloading all of Yosemite (5+ gb file)
3)I have tried disk utility and run verified / repair disk and verify/ repair permissions. I have done this from the utilities panel and from the recovery mode panel. Neither found a problem or fixed it
4)I have tried reseting the smc and the pram with no luck
5) I hard wired the ethernet cable to make sure I was not creating a computer-to-computer network. I also cut off the wifi so this was not an option.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You bought it in January you say so take it back to the point of sale. There are doubtless other things to try but why should you? This sounds like either a fault with the keyboard or the OS. Either way it's not your fault and you have tried most solutions I would have suggested already.:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.