HP scanner on MacOSX 10.5 10.9 scanner not recognized

Reaction score
I have an HP 8500a Office jet all in one unit, Mac Mini late 2012 , core i7 , 2.3 GHz, 16GB RAM, I can no longer use the Scan functions. Image Capture app does not find a scanner, and no scan option in preview. Re-installed HP software, but HP Office manager on Scan give the eternal spinning wheel. Went to HP web site, no downloads for this combination, went to Apple web site, and could find no help. Does anyone have recommendations??

OSx 10.9.5

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You might want to do some more checking on the actual specific model, as similar HP models are listed as Apple supported:
https://support.apple.com/en-is/HT201465

And it's often advised to not use any HP provided software on disk but get it from Apple. And Apple had a huge 500MB+ HP software update a few weeks ago that I got for our old HP Laserjet, and doing a quick search with Find Any File, it shows a bunch of Officejet Pro 8500 A909 type files in my Mavericks /Library/Printers folder. That just may be for your HP model, but I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
+1 for VueScan - I have used it for years and it supports most scanners.

OP
R
Reaction score
All,

I tried to find support from Apple, but unable to do so. I finally tried Bob's advice and did a test run with VueScan. The demo looked good - so I bought the consumer version. I used it for a lot of scanning, and I prefer it to the Apple or the HP software.

Recently, the printer mis-behaved, and looks like it might need new heads. Not worth the money - so I purchased an Epson WF 3640. Still having some shakedown issues, but on the whole I like it a lot, and cost was less than print heads for the HP. Plus - no more of that dam invasive HP software!!!

For now I am still using the VueScan as it seems easier to use than the Epson Scan software.

Thanks Bob!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.