Why can't I put back files in my Trash?

Reaction score
Somehow in the past few weeks I accidentally deleted my entire Music library. Like 15GB worth of music is now sitting in my trash.

I searched Help on how to restore them and all I found is a reference to "highlight the file and then use File --> Put Back" .

Problem is, I don't see any "Put Back" selection in any menu, whether a file or all music files are highlighted.

Even double clicking the highlighted file doesn't show any path to a 'Put Back" command.

Yes, I guess I can drag the files to my itunes library, but that won't restore them to the folders... I don't see any folders in my trash... just a huge list of individual music files.

Is there any way to restore these back to the proper folder structures?

I could rebuild the library as all music is backed up, but I'd rather not take that long (took a LONG time to get them onto my new MBP.

Craftydad

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit 2:

right click or command click

I have seen the 'Put Back' option not be available on occasion when deleted from within iTunes rather than from Finder.

I have 3 files in my trash now - all deleted from within iTunes - 2 of them have the option and one does not.

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What version of OS X do you have? "Put Back" was only introduced with Snow Leopard (10.6).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've noticed that sometimes the 'PutBack' option only appears when you select one file in Trash, but disappears if you select several. Not sure if it only appears when all the trash files selected are from one origin, and does not appear if they are from several. Try just selecting one file to see if Put Back option appears.

Reaction score
Here's what I have learned:

Anything moved to trash from Finder or the desktop will have the option to "put back" from the r-click context menu.
Anything moved to trash from any other location or app will NOT have that option.

You can test this easily. Put something in the trash from finder, and put something in the trash from some other app. Right-click each file, and the context menu is different by that one option: Put back.

No, I have no idea what Apple was thinking. And yes, it is frustrating to no end.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So I take it you do not have a Time Machine backup? It is also well worth knowing for future reference the Edit menu (in the top Menu Bar) has an undo last action command. Bit late for that now though I suppose. Time machine would have allowed you to go back to just before you trashed the items, also very handy if you have one.
Having never done exactly what you did I am unsure of what would happen if you just drag the files back to iTunes. It would, I think be worth trying just one track or song to see the result. You did not answer vansmith's question "what OSX are you running?" so the outcome may vary dependant on your OSX and I cannot duplicate it without that information. So select a song, preferably a single and drag and drop it onto the iTunes application icon. This will open iTunes and import the song, it is just possible that it will also load it's metadata or identify it's data from the library. So if the result is a song with all of it's info ie name, artist, album then you should be able to do the same with all of the rest. Turn off your internet connection first just to be certain it is not just getting the info from the CDDB.

Reaction score
Make a folder in your User folder (Home).
Drag all the music files from the Trash to that folder.
Open iTunes. Import the files from the folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I'm running OS X 10.10.5 I ended up deleting all music and starting over, but in doing so I learned a lot about how I wanted my iTunes set up, so it actually good. I haven't used Time Machine yet... I use Backup To Go which does an automated backup by just plugging in a specific pen drive, but will probably switch to Time Machine once I understand it better.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@craftydad,

I'm very glad you got your iTunes problems sorted to your satisfaction.

As regards Time Machine (TM), there isn't really a lot to learn or understand. I offer some help now so that you have it if/when you want TM.

Requirements:

An External Hard Drive (EHD). This is advised rather than USB sticks, for example.

The EHD should have a storage capacity about 1.5 times that of your Mac's internal HDD or more.

Some people advise a preference for mains-operated EHD; but this is not essential.

The EHD should have a USB 3 connection as a minimum, simply to ensure good transmission speeds.

The EHD should NOT be used for any other purpose - keep it exclusively for TM. Again, my personal view.

When you get the EHD (or if you have one handy to fulfils the criteria above), it will need to be formatted to OS X Extended (Journaled). This is done by mounting it (ie attaching it to your Mac via its USB connection); then opening Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Your EHD will be shown in the list of HDs. Click on Erase, then under the Format option, choose OS X Extended (Journaled). At this point make sure you have GUID map partition selected as well.

Now, open TM found in Preferences > Time Machine. On the left is a slider. Switch to on. On the right are your Drives. Select your EHD. As you have formatted it as above, it should just start to backup. Sometimes (and nearly always if you have not formatted it correctly), it will take you through the formatting process mentioned above.

From now on, TM will BU your internal HDD, hourly for 24 hours, then daily for a month and so on. The first BU is LONG because it BUs everything. Subsequent BUs are incremental and very much quicker.

If you have an iMac, you can leave it attached 24/7.

If you have a laptop, then obviously you need to unmount the EHD, take your laptop away and do your work. It will save to changes till you reconnect your TM when you get home. The changes will automatically be updated to TM.

TM is NOT bootable, but does allow you to recover files, folders, photos, music which has been deleted by mistake. And you can use TM to restore everything to a new Mac or new Int HDD.

I think that's about it.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Ian! I usually do not connect my MBP to anything on a daily basis... it's always used in a 'mobile' way... the 'hourly' and 'daily' thing of TM is what initially drove me to Back Up To Go. It'll automatically back up any changes I've made since the last backup to the 128GB pendrive just by plugging it in. Sounds like TM will do the same... ie track all changes and do an incremental when I do attach the drive. I do have a 2TB external drive but it's used for backup up several PCs. Will need to look into TM more.. sounds like it would work if I have a dedicated drive for the MBP that's of the right size.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The difference with TM is the User Interface. TM is an application with a full screen window and the ability to go backwards in the content of any folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I use TM with two external drives (a 2Mb Iomega Firewire (Braeburn) and a 2Mb Seagate USB (Lord Lambourne). TM is set to alternate between the two, backing up my internal HD (Pippin) and a further external (Bramley). Braeburn is permanently connected, whereas Lord Lambourne is connected about once a week/fortnight and kept in a fireproof safe the rest of the time. TM happily backs up, without comment, to both when both are connected and to just Braeburn when the other is disconnected. Once a fortnight TM will prompt me if it hasn't seen Lord Lambourne for a while.

Braeburn, Bramley, Pippin & Lord Lambourne are, of course, all apples:)

Reaction score
Same problem

Hi,

I*have the same problem. I*accidentally put my whole music directory into trash. No put back option. I can't just empty it either as it tells everything is in use although iTunes is closed. I have tried to restart. No help. I have macOS*Sierra. Can anyone help?

- Micke

Somehow in the past few weeks I accidentally deleted my entire Music library. Like 15GB worth of music is now sitting in my trash.

I searched Help on how to restore them and all I found is a reference to "highlight the file and then use File --> Put Back" .

Problem is, I don't see any "Put Back" selection in any menu, whether a file or all music files are highlighted.

Even double clicking the highlighted file doesn't show any path to a 'Put Back" command.

Yes, I guess I can drag the files to my itunes library, but that won't restore them to the folders... I don't see any folders in my trash... just a huge list of individual music files.

Is there any way to restore these back to the proper folder structures?

I could rebuild the library as all music is backed up, but I'd rather not take that long (took a LONG time to get them onto my new MBP.

Craftydad

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
How about following cradom's advice as given in Post #7 above?

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by music "directory" ?
This is the path to an individual artist in my music library;Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/_Jim Croce
This is the default path to all music stored in the native music app. If you follow this path you will see how the files are structured.
2016-12-02 15:29:44.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point being there is no directory as such. Are you saying you have deleted the whole iTunes folder including sub folders or just one of them? If so just put it back in the same place corresponding as you see it above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.