Sign In to App Store Issue

Reaction score
I bought a used mac mini last year. I should have wiped the drive and started fresh but I didn’t. Just changed admin names and passwords. Tonight I upgraded to Yosemite. After restart and using my iCloud login and p/w all is well to proceed with updating various apps. One in particular is iPhoto. In the task bar it has the circle with the line through it. So I attempt to update it. It will not allow me to. The pop box appears asking for apple ID and password. Because I never wiped the drive. There is someone else’s email in place and greyed out. Locked in place. I was able to update all 4 apps except that one. Am I going to have to wipe the drive anyway? I also can’t seem to change the “home” name of the previous owner. I have removed them and I am Admin. Trying to find a solution for 4 hours now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Your first instinct of wiping the HD and doing a fresh install was correct and the fact that the previous owner didn't do that and perhaps left their data on there is just scary.

You should now, however, go through that process and start out fresh and configure the Mac Mini like the way you want it using ONLY your credentials..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.