Iphone 5 Bluetooth inoperable

Reaction score
Due to an ongoing locked Android moby, I recently bit the bullet and decided to go 'All Apple', which has been a bit of a disappointment. A spare iPhone 5 (8.1.2) will not talk to my Macbook Pro via Bluetooth/Airdrop unlike the old Samsung G2 which would talk to the Macbook all day long.

This, compounded with the awful Yosemite upgrade, has disappointed me. Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I use airdrop all the time on my iPhone 5s and MacBook Pro from 2012 running the latest Yosemite. You're going to have to explain in more detail precisely what the problem seems to be, because as far as I can tell airdrop works perfectly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Airdrop on the Mac sees nothing. Nothing at all.

I can pair the iphone from the Mac, but then the iphone boots it off, saying 'device not supported' or 'make sure the device is turn on and in range'. The Mac disconnects and asks me to check the network.

OP
G
Reaction score
This is teh screen-grab I get from the iphone. It gives me no option to send via bluetooth to either the Mac or the PC, even though bluetooth/wifi is active on all three.

IMG_0042.PNG

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are not alone.

I have never been able to succsessfully use Airdrop between my 5S and my Mac.

Same happens as yours - says it connects, then kicks it off with message on the phone saying it is not compatible. After that, it refuses to even see my Mac for some time - don't know how long. Try pairing bluetooth from the Mac - same thing and then the phone won't even appear in bluetooth preferences.

Turning bluetooth/wifi on and off, rebooting, nothing works.

Meanwhile, Airplay works great on all devices.
Bluetooth works fine on the 5S connecting to both of my vehicles.

And while the 1st Apple support article I just found says "a Mac with OS X Yosemite", that is not the case - you must have one of the following or newer per several other articles I've found:

MacBook Air (2012 or newer)
MacBook Pro (2012 or newer)
iMac (2012 or newer)
Mac mini (2012 or newer)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is teh screen-grab I get from the iphone. It gives me no option to send via bluetooth to either the Mac or the PC, even though bluetooth/wifi is active on all three.

Which year and model MacBook Pro do you have? See above the reply from bobtomay stating which models can use Air Drop. If your MacBook Pro is not on that list it's not going to work. I believe there is a work around but you'll need to Google for it as I don't know what it is off hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.