Intro to video processing and movie pojects

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a GoPro and I enjoy making movies and such with it but my Macbook is now quite outdated. It is a mid 2009 13 in with 2 gb or ram, a 160 gb harddrive and an intel 2.24 ghz (I think, I know it is the lowest processor they offered at the time) processor.

I have been tossing the idea around of upgrading the ram and harddrive through OWC, I was going to upgrade to 8 gb of ram and a 240 gb ssd harddrive.

My main question is whether or not anyone thinks this upgrade is worth it or if I should just bite the bullet and buy a new Macbook. I would much rather spend $400 on the upgrades rather than $2500 on a whole new computer.

Most of the clips I take are 1080p at 60 fps, occasionally WVGA at 240 fps.

Mostly the computer stays at home but whenever I go on skiing trips I will take it with me so I can transfer the clips off my gopro, otherwise I would run out of space.

I have a few more questions on the graphics capabilities of my computer but I figure I should figure out if I should even upgrade it first.

Any help would be great! Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker your Mid 2009 MacBook can take 6 GB of memory. Adding a SSD to the mix would definitely give you a boost in speed. However, the bottleneck with your machine is its graphic capability. The GPU is an integrated Nvidia GeForce 9400M which borrows memory from the system.

I don't know why you think you have to spend $2500 to replace your current machine unless you're thinking of buying a loaded 15" MacBook Pro? You can purchase a nice retina 13" MacBook Pro for a lot less. Do some shopping at the Apple site and don't forget to look around their refurbished site. Lots of great buys there.

OP
T
Reaction score
The $2500 was just an shot in the dark. I just took a look a the apple site, If I was to buy a refurbished one, any idea what I should be looking for? Processor, Graphics card, stuff like that. Do you think I would be better off buying something with less ram and a smaller hd and just upgrading it myself?

Also do you think my current graphics card is bogging down because of the small amount of ram I have now or do you think it is just too old to process those 1080p clips?

Sorry to be nailing you with so many questions. haha

Thanks for your help :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just took a look a the apple site, If I was to buy a refurbished one, any idea what I should be looking for?

Easy answer. ANYTHING you purchase will be better/faster than what you currently have!:)

So maybe think about three things:

- laptop or desktop?
- display size?
- what is your budget?

After these things are answered…you will find that the list of choices is much shorter.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Preferably under $1500, the main things I am looking for is the ability to process those video clips and run programs like imovie or final cut. I think I'll be looking for another laptop probably, 13 in. I can upgrade the harddrive and ram myself, I guess I am most curious what processor speed and gpu should I be looking for and then I will weigh my options from there.

I saw on the webpage they have a Intel HD 4000 or a Intel Iris, I'm not sure if there is a major difference between the two.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You can get a nice MacBook Pro for $1500. If you really plan to edit video I recommend the 15" or a 13" with an external monitor. I have used my 15" MB Pro to edit and I will tell you the bigger the monitor the less the eye strain. I also recommend an i7 processor and as much memory as possible plus as large an SSD as you can afford.

Check out what is currently available in the refurbished area:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 13" - Apple Certified Refurbished Notebook Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
When it comes to processors and video processing, is it better to get the quad core with less ghz or dual core with more ghz?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can upgrade the harddrive and ram myself...

If you're looking to purchase a brand new computer. The 2.5ghz 13" MacBook Pro is the ONLY new Apple laptop you can currently purchase that still has upgradeable ram & an upgradeable hard drive. And FYI…this is actually a "Mid-2012" model computer.

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro with Retina display - Apple Store (U.S.)

If you wanted a 2013 or 2014 13" MacBook Pro. These DO NOT have upgradable ram or storage. You need to configure these with as much ram & storage you feel you will need as long as you plan to own the computer.

If you are ok going with one of these models…then the $1499 13" retina MacBook Pro with 8gig of ram and 256gig storage would fit nice with the parameters you mentioned.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When it comes to processors and video processing, is it better to get the quad core with less ghz or dual core with more ghz?

- You can ONLY get the quad-core CPU in the 15" MacBook Pro's (you said you were leaning towards a 13" MacBook Pro).
- The 15" MacBook Pro's are $500-$1000 MORE than your declared $1500 budget.
- And as mentioned in my other recent reply. These 15" MacBook Pro's have non-ungradeable ram & storage.

* Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh ok, good call Nick. :) I have been out of this game so long I didn't even think of that.

So looking at the refurbished MacBooks there are only 2 2012 models in my price range. The 2.5 ghz 13 in and the 2.3 15 in (which I open to even though I said I was looking for a 13 in). In your opinion is it better to have 2.3 quad core processor and NVIDA gpu or the 2.5 dual core and the intel HD 4000?

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So looking at the refurbished MacBooks there are only 2 2012 models in my price range. The 2.5 ghz 13 in and the 2.3 15 in (which I open to even though I said I was looking for a 13 in). In your opinion is it better to have 2.3 quad core processor and NVIDA gpu or the 2.5 dual core and the intel HD 4000?

The 15" MacBook Pro is definitely the better computer. But then it also costs approx. $500 more than the 13" MacBook Pro. So you sort of get what you pay for. Spend 50% more $$$…and you get a better computer!;) I realize that the 15" MBP is still within the $1500 budget.:)

But again remember. The 15" MacBook Pro will be heavier & larger footprint than the 13". AND…even though the 15" MacBook Pro is a 2012 model…it still does NOT have upgradeable ram & storage.

ONLY the 13" 2.5ghz 13" MacBook Pro has upgradeable ram and storage. And the 13" 2.5ghz 2012 McBook Pro does not have the sharper retina display.

And just in case you also didn't know. Apple has also eliminated the optical drive (CD/DVD drive) in newer model MBP's. The 2012 2.5ghz 13" MacBook Pro (with the upgradeable ram and storage)…is also the ONLY new model you can still buy that still has an optical drive. You can purchase an external optical drive if you were to get a newer MBP with no optical drive.

I'm not sure if the:

- non-upgraeable ram
- non-upgradeable storage
- or no optical drive

...is a massive big deal to you. But as you can see…since around 2012, Apple has moved to this format (non-upgradable ram, non-upgradeable storage, and no optical drive).

If you want newer Apple portable computer technology (2012 15" MBP's, 2013 or 2014 laptops)…then non-upgradeable ram, non-upgradeable storage, and no optical drives are the "new norms".

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok awesome! Thanks so much for your help, its been great! I think I will be going with the 13" then!

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.