Is it really worth it?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had apple laptops for the past 3 to 3 and 1/2 years now. I had apple care on my last two laptops (ibook G3) and ibook (G4). I never had any problems with them, or had to bring them back for any reason. However, my dad bought me those two and he said he cant afford to buy me the new one i want (MacBook Pro). I just sold my ibook, and am going to save up for the MacBook Pro. I really dont thing that it is necessary (sp?) to have it. But I am hearing about the problems on them. So i might just wait until they fix them....GIVE me ur advice
thanks in advance

OP
T
Reaction score
also, i just spoke to the apple store near me, and they sold alot of macbook pro's and had no problems yet... i was also thinking, that if i get one and there is a problem, its probably going to occur withing the 1 year warrenty probably..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I just got mine yesterday. It's insane. I've never been able to run multiple programs at the same time (my family usually gets PC's and they're not top of the line when we get them), today I was transfering all my music from my ipod to my itunes via senuti while importing two folders of pictures, (I'd say they were 150-200 pics a piece in each), hitting up the interent, downloading and cycling thru widgets and keywording pictures in iphoto. No Lag, no slow down. I have the 1.83 version with 512mb of ram. It boggles my mind honestly. Playing around with one in the apple store is a good way to cut your teeth on one, but having one as your own is a totally different experience. I'm in loooooove.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Mace said:
I just got mine yesterday. It's insane. I've never been able to run multiple programs at the same time (my family usually gets PC's and they're not top of the line when we get them), today I was transfering all my music from my ipod to my itunes via senuti while importing two folders of pictures, (I'd say they were 150-200 pics a piece in each), hitting up the interent, downloading and cycling thru widgets and keywording pictures in iphoto. No Lag, no slow down. I have the 1.83 version with 512mb of ram. It boggles my mind honestly. Playing around with one in the apple store is a good way to cut your teeth on one, but having one as your own is a totally different experience. I'm in loooooove.

Hmm, thats interesting. I have the same config and mine is really slow. Maybe I am doing more than you, but I don't think so. (I am always running Bit Torrent, entourage, safari and then doing other stuff in Ilife 6) and it is slow as a turtle, my 1.5 GHZ PB was 4 times faster. I wonder if it is because I migrated everything over from my PB. Maybe I should wipe her clean and reinstall/transfer all my stuff over individually.

More experienced guys, does that make a difference?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
LastZion said:
Hmm, thats interesting. I have the same config and mine is really slow. Maybe I am doing more than you, but I don't think so. (I am always running Bit Torrent, entourage, safari and then doing other stuff in Ilife 6) and it is slow as a turtle, my 1.5 GHZ PB was 4 times faster. I wonder if it is because I migrated everything over from my PB. Maybe I should wipe her clean and reinstall/transfer all my stuff over individually.

More experienced guys, does that make a difference?

Are you running Non Universal Applications that run under Rosetta? If that is the case, that is why it's slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Yeah, I guess that is the case.
I just remember reading that it wasn't that much of a drop off under rosetta, I guess I will see on Monday when I get my gig stick of ram (so that I can compare it to the feeling of my g4 1.5 with 1.5).

All I am using is Safari (uni), Entourage (rose), Adium (uni) and then some illustrator and photo shop. But I found the lag even in iLife progs too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If you do get a MacBook, as long you activate AppleCare within one year of purchase it will extend for the extra two years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so I just reinstalled the OS from the discs and everything seems to run way more smoothly now. So I geuss things didn't move over too well during the migration... so I'm much happier now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.