Transferring of data

Reaction score
I have a holiday movie I have created in Final Cut but cannot seem to find anything to burn it. The movie after being compressed (With Compressor) is still 17GB (roughly 1 and 3/4 hrs) but i have not found anything good to create a template and marker type package. Why? I am a rookie to Macs and new to this forum. Having always used a window PC and thought that Macs would be the way forward, but it looks the opposite. On the windows pc I used Corel Video Studio (about £60) and it was fantastic. Anyone got any good ideas for MAC. Imovie only allows you to share, not create a dvd as does Final cut and as it's a large file it can even do that.
Lastly I thought I'd create the file and move it back to my windows Laptop via my 2 TB seagate hard drive but when i try this it says volume is too small. Arrrgghhhh I don't want to start this all over again...... Help

Anyone got any suggestion to move the file are there any better apple drives that will allow transfer or any good dvd creating applications????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a holiday movie I have created in Final Cut but cannot seem to find anything to burn it. The movie after being compressed (With Compressor) is still 17GB (roughly 1 and 3/4 hrs) but i have not found anything good to create a template and marker type package. Why? I am a rookie to Macs and new to this forum.........

Lastly I thought I'd create the file and move it back to my windows Laptop via my 2 TB seagate hard drive but when i try this it says volume is too small. Arrrgghhhh I don't want to start this all over again...... Help

Anyone got any suggestion to move the file are there any better apple drives that will allow transfer or any good dvd creating applications????

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Regarding your 2 TB external HD, what is the file format? If FAT32, then there is a 4 GB file size limit.

Now, for a 17 GB movie - if you want it on one disc, then blu-ray is your only option; even a dual layer DVD will hold just 8.5 GB - don't know if the file can be compressed further, but those are the disc requirements.

Take a look at the offering from Other World Computing and the attached pic from their website - see blue arrow for size limits for a BD vs. a dual-layer DVD - this comes w/ an excellent optical disc program which I used a LOT (not for movies) when on PCs - hopefully some experienced users of this software will 'chime in' w/ advice. Of course, if you do go the BD route, those watching the movie will need a BD player which are cheap these days. Good luck - Dave

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 12.16.06 PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Mmm... Oh My, I seem so out of my depth. 2TB is 4GB .... What!!!!

Well Thanks for this Dave nevertheless.

Well I have in some way managed to burn the whole file to a dual DVD but the quality of the footage is very poor, considering what it is from the original, so I can but try. Anyone know the best way to transfer my file directly to my laptop. Any cables that I can plug in to my Mac that will recognise my windows laptop as a external drive so that I can drag it over. I really don't want to have to start the process again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Mmm... Oh My, I seem so out of my depth. 2TB is 4GB .... What!!!!

Well Thanks for this Dave nevertheless.

Well I have in some way managed to burn the whole file to a dual DVD but the quality of the footage is very poor, considering what it is from the original, so I can but try. Anyone know the best way to transfer my file directly to my laptop. Any cables that I can plug in to my Mac that will recognise my windows laptop as a external drive so that I can drag it over. I really don't want to have to start the process again

Hi again - you did not read my response closely nor review the specifications of FAT32, i.e. if your external 2 TB HD is formatted as FAT32, the largest single file that can be stored on the drive is limited to 4 GB - the drive will still hold numerous files of that size or smaller up to its full capacity.

Plus, you've still not provided us any information as to the specs on your computer system(s), OSs installed, nor the formatting of the external HD. Please help us so we can make some sensible suggestions. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.