Mac Book Pro Retina to 30" Cinema Display

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Apple Store tell me confidently that I can connect without problem to a 2006 30" Cinema Display using a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

However, what no one seems to be able to explain to me is what to do with the firewire cable.

My Cinema Display has 3 cables: DVI-D, USB and Firewire. The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter seems to have ports for only the DVI-D and USB ... but where does the Firewire go? Do I need a separate Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter?

Any thoughts on how to resolved this mystery would be most appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, what no one seems to be able to explain to me is what to do with the firewire cable.

My Cinema Display has 3 cables: DVI-D, USB and Firewire. The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter seems to have ports for only the DVI-D and USB ... but where does the Firewire go? Do I need a separate Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter?

Any thoughts on how to resolved this mystery would be most appreciated.

That firewire cable just "dangles" doesn't plug into anything (at least not associated with the adapter).

Since a brand new 15" MacBook Pro does not have a dedicated firewire port. You may need a separate cable/adapter via the MBP's Thunderbolt port.

If you dont normally use this firewire cable from the display. Then you don't need to worry about it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.