power cords keep dying

Reaction score
This is the 3rd one to go and I'm sick of ordering new ones.

(basically they connect, don't like up, and don't deliver a charge)

I have another power cord that I can hook up, and it DOES work.

Does this mean the power cords that don't work are definitely broken? Or is it possible a SMC reset would fix these cords?

I hope this question makes sense.

If I needed an SMC reset, I would think NO power cords would work.

Is it possible I need an SMC reset to get SOME power cords working, even though some already do?

Any other advice on this topic is welcome. I really don't want to buy a 4th power cord.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried a different outlet? If the problem persists across cords, it's very possible that this has more to do with the outlet and not the cords themselves.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry if that wasn't clear. The outlet is fine. I can use the old power cord from my old macbook I bought in Japan and it works! (same outlet).

Just the new style L-shaped power cords keep dying.

Obviously I'm not desperate cuz I can keep using this one old cord but if THIS one goes then I'd just have til the battery died.... not good enough, I am very dependent on this laptop!

Was hoping someone else had this experience, how to buy a good affordable one or possibly fix the one I have.

Oddly I noticed when I rebooted into boot camp and used Windows without the cord is when the problem started....

could be total coincidence....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL You are not really suggested Microsoft is to blame?

If these are genuine Apple power leads take it up with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is okay. With this problem you SHOULD be contacting Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
P
Reaction score
I was too careful ordering last time so this time I confirmed and ordered 65W. Hopefully it'll do the trick. I was a little surprised no one else had this problem since it happened to my original cord and 2 others....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.