Connect Mac Air to Sony Bravia with HDMI cable

Reaction score
I have adapter and HDMI cable and cable fits to the TV and to the computer. The two devices seem to be talking to each other but I only get the Mac screensaver for a different user (not MY screensaver--??) to show on the tv screen. Cannot get Iphoto to transmit. I can get photos on the tv screen by using a flash drive but I want to show pictures using Iphoto. Any thoughts? Many thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm doing what's prescribed in the articles but still can't get Iphoto on my tv screen. Could it be a problem with the cable itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm doing what's prescribed in the articles but still can't get Iphoto on my tv screen. Could it be a problem with the cable itself?

Well, please provide some more information about your TV, i.e. is it a newer HDTV w/ HDMI inputs or are you using the cable to go from HDMI (on your MacAir) to RCA jacks on the TV using the hybrid adapter? If so, these setups often are troublesome.

For myself (i.e. MBPro to HDTV w/ HMDI inputs), I use the cable below - no adapter needed - so, let us know about your TV and what kind of adapter you are trying? Dave :)

HDMI-1.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
I really appreciate your help!

TV is a Sony Bravia, model number XBR 65X900A with HDMI ports on the side and back of the unit.

MacBookAir 4,1 is the model identifier on my 2011 Mac.

Cable:high speed 12 foot HDMI cable, 24K gold plated connectors, Radioshack. Optiflex cable

Adapter: Gigaware, mini display port to HDMI adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I really appreciate your help!

TV is a Sony Bravia, model number XBR 65X900A with HDMI ports on the side and back of the unit.

MacBookAir 4,1 is the model identifier on my 2011 Mac.

Cable:high speed 12 foot HDMI cable, 24K gold plated connectors, Radioshack. Optiflex cable

Adapter: Gigaware, mini display port to HDMI adapter

Hello again - thanks for the detailed information and sorry, I kind of overlooked the title of your thread where you state the TV is a Sony Bravia - so 2011 MBAir w/ mini-display port to the HDMI cable, then to your HDTV w/ an HDMI input - gotta it now! :)

Please provide the OS X on your laptop - I've not used a mini-display-HDMI adapter, so not sure if there are OS issues? Also, testing the cables would be great, e.g. using what you have on another laptop or exchanging the cables but may not be feasible.

Hopefully, some of our hardware experts familiar w/ these older mini-port interfaces will 'chime in' to help - good luck and sorry again that I could not be of more assistance. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.