Mac Mini gets hot when playing games; all good anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
So, got me a Mac Mini 2014 model, and so far, all is awesome and great compared to my now dead Windows machine. I do game a little on the Mac, and I noticed that after a while (approx. 40-60 minutes) the Mini's case get warm. Not burning you can now cook here warm, but hot, enough that I strongly notice it. When I stop playing and do regular computing tasks (web browsing, watching a movie, whatever) the temp goes back down and in fact the machine feels cool to the touch once more.

So, should I worry? Is the case the heat sink actually? Or am I frying my new mac (though I assume it turns itself off if temperatures actually get dangerous, right)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pretty much normal. Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's, even iMac's will warm up a good bit when playing games. You can probably hear the running fan pretty good as well (high rpm's).

As soon as you stop playing a game…it will cool right away…and fan noise will return to its normal volume (usually silent). So pretty much normal.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My Mac Book Pro has been running at about 220 degrees F for several hours a day for the last several days encoding video. When they were done the temps dropped to between 120 and 150 degrees F depending upon what I was doing.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Very good to hear, that. I was starting to wonder, and definitely don't want to hurt my new machine!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I understand that feeling well. Still have it about my current machine even though it's from 2008.

Just take reasonable precautions such as keeping the air vents clear of dust etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.