Airport Extreme and USB hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2009, iPad mini
Hello

I have an AirPort Extreme 5th gen.
I have it connected to a hard drive, it works fine.
Now I want to connect a printer, and began putting a USB hub between AirPort and hard drive. Now the hard drive very slow.
Is it because I bought a cheap USB hub?
If yes, what should you use?

Sincerely, Jakob

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Jacob, lets see if I got this right. You have an Airport connected to a external USB Hard Drive. You now want to connect a printer to the Airport, does the printer not have WiFi connectivity? If so, why not use WiFi instead of a cable connection?
Did you buy a AC powered Hub? One with a transformer that plugs into a wall outlet? If not you may have power issues. Either way a USB hub is a bit like a double adaptor for a wall outlet, a bit risky and simply not as efficient.
You did not say what you are using the external HD for. If it is a high demand device like a server with a lot of continuous data being processed then I doubt you could plug anything else into the same USB port without sacrificing performance and risking data corruption.
Generally a USB HD should have a dedicated port.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2009, iPad mini
Hi
Thank you.

Yes, a external USB harddisk (3TB Seagate). I use it as a NAS, I store music, photos, movies and other documents. Shared for all the computeres in the house. (The harddisk is USB 3 but AirPort Extreme i only 2.0)
The printer has only USB (Xerox Phaser 6000, I got it for free )
No, The USB hub has no power supply. (I thought that there was no need for AC supply to the USB hub as hard drive and printer have power supply)

Without USB hub takes a file of about 4GB about 2-3 minutes to copy from a PC to the hard drive. With USB hub takes the same file more than 30 minutes.

I could try to borrow a USB hub with power supply and try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.