Wierd audio-related question from a noob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 20" 2G RAM 256 MB video
So I got a wierd/technical one for y'all...

In a few applications (Safari, Camino, and No Limits coaster simulator, so far...) whenever I try to use any audio, I get the beach ball for a couple seconds, then a dialog pops up telling me that my computer can't find my bluetooth headset.

Trouble is, I don't have a bluetooth headset, and have never tried to set one up...

Then it says I may have to restart the audio portion of my program, but I don't know how to do that either.

Any ideas, oh wise ninjas of the forum? :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Delete the preff files for the applications giving you the problem, and turn off the bluetooth (if you are not using it).

Reaction score
Hmm....

Check System Preferences > Bluetooth > Devices Tab ... go there and throw out the bluetooth headset if it's listed. Turn off bluetooth if you don't need it.

This is silly, but check that nothing is plugged in on the audio out port at the back of your mac.

Next check Sound. Go to the Output Tab and see if the correct set of speakers has been selected. That should solve it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Go to applications->utilites and select the audio & midi utility.

Check the default output & default system output is set to built-in audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
From "System Preferences" (probably in the Doc, but if not it's among the Applications), choose "Sound", then the "Output" tab. Is the appropriate device selected if you show more than one? I'm only a few months into the Mac world, but it seems like a good place to start. :)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, a veteran user beat me to it. Good deal. We both learned something. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Jeez, look at those times.

Within 5 minutes he had 4 replies to his question :)

Well done team! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes very good job.. now lets just hope of us had the answer that solved his problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry guys. Thanks for all your help, but so far, no dice.

I'd already looked at System Preferences, and tried turning off Bluetooth. It's a really wierd problem too, it only crops up on certain websites... For instance, I can watch movie trailers and the like, but Homestarrunner.com doesn't work

Think it's related to filetype? Also, Powerbook G4, how do I delete the program prefs?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome. I'd be glad I switched if I only got the community out of it (but I loves me my iMac.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two other suggestions that might shed some light on what's going on:

Start "Activity Monitor", and note the running processes. Is, for example, "Bluetooth File Exchange" running, or starting when this occurs?

Start "Console" in the Utilities sub-folder of Applications. Anything appearing related to this activity when it happens?

Mark

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Geekboy, everybody else... It's the wierdest thing, the computer would freeze up for a second (beach ball) but last time when it did that, I just hit the volume up button on the keyboard a couple times, and it worked. All this after restarting.

Don't know what the deal was... Thanks again, glad to be in Mac-Land.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.