Odd file showed up

Reaction score
I opened my hard drive window today, noticed on the top a text file named "~" is showing. It's used by system, I opened it and its a bunch of code. Any ideas what this is for? is it normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What info and details are shown using "Get Info" on the file??

Filename extension, created/modified date, permissions etc. ...???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are the contents of that file? It might be possible to discern its origin/purpose if we know what's in it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Text edit document.
Size: 3.2MB
Created Feb 1 2015

Permission is: system=read write
Everyone=NO ACCESS

OP
B
Reaction score
Opening the file it starts like this but its a huge file:
–˙–⁄(ê ,~<catalog> String
Array Bundle
 Claim  Service Type UTIBinding† ExtensionBinding
OSTypeBinding†
MIMEBinding¿
NSPasteboardBinding–
DeviceModelCodeBinding
URLSchemeBindingBundleIDBinding BundleSignatureBinding0BundleNameBindingpGroupIdentifierBinding∞PluginBundleIDBinding¿PluginProtocolBinding–PluginUUIDBinding‡HandlerPrefContainer
AliasBindableKeyMap Data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe post the first few lines if the file's "code" text and some guru may be able to provide some help.

Such info sometime gives a bit of info as to what the file is used for, but it's sure not normal to be named and showing up where and as it is. Unless someone was doing some mucking about??? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I'm definitely not the guru pm-r is referring to, but I noticed the reference to "system" in your second post...so I would not delete the file until you are 100% sure it would be safe to do so. Hold on a little while...the guru will be here any minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It is really hard to tell what the code is about. It almost looks like a mail app file. It references MIME which among other things is uses when sending email context that is not text. No idea why is would be in the documents folder.

You can always rename it and see if anything happens or if another text file appears. This may be a file generated by a program.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, I believe the file is at the Root level of the drive, not the Documents folder.

It also reads almost like a preference type file, but a 3.2MB file would be huge for that. or maybe something left over from some recent installer…???

Still scratching head here… ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My bad - I don't know why I thought it was in documents. I am still stumped as to what it is though. Still wonder if changing it's name would help see if it does anything and if not then delete it???

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to the "Get Info" (see his photo bucket link), the file is a text file. But a text file of over 3 MB is rather unusual. I would go ahead and delete it but do not empty the trash. If something complains, you can always restore the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the OP could copy and paste a bit more of the files's "text", goggly gook code included.

Then maybe Google could then help. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other strange thing about that file, bedsides the name and it's location is that it seems to be a System only usable file from what I see:

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 11.31.08 AM_zpsfwqrp7a3.png~original.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll, I still have no idea what it is, where it came from or how it ended up on my drive. I went back to last months backup to check and it wasn't there. So I deleted the file and restarted the mac.. no difference noted, have gone through all normal operating crap no issues. If I see anything that clues me in on what it is or where it came from I'll come back and post the answer.

Evidently I'm the only one in the history of the internet who has had this issue. (Or asked about it)

Thanks for ya'll help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, I have a theory. The tilde is short hand for the user's home directory (try it - go to Finder, push Shift-Command-G and put the tilde as the directory) and I'm guessing some sort of app was trying to write something to your home directory but instead of writing to the home directory, it simply wrote output to a file called ~. This is just a guess though.

If my theory is right, there's an app that checks various binds (how certain software/parts of the OS are connected, or bound, to other parts). Regardless, a file named ~ is not a normal file nor is it necessary for any crucial OS component so I'm sure you'll be fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks again all. I guess the question is what type of program would write a file to a drive named ~ if it were a hacker type thing, I'd think they'd be smart enough to name it something less alarming. I considered my mac fairly secured from outside attempts and I'm the only user so it was a really weird thing to see.

But as of now, its gone I'll keep an eye on it to see if and when it comes back maybe I can add more to the clue list.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds logical Van and I was thinking the same kind of thing.

Then I got side-tracked wondering why and how the "~" file opened in TextEdit when the Get Info doesn't even show any extension. Then I recalled something from away back and Mac's "hidden" file resources and found this:
"...Rather than relying on the file extension at the end of a file’s name, information about the file’s content — the file’s MIME type — is embedded into the beginning of the file itself. So, when you open a file with no file extension, Linux and Mac OS X will look at the file’s MIME type to determine what type of file it is. ..." [Bold mine]
MIME Types Explained: Why Linux and Mac OS X Don’t Need File Extensions

Definitely a strange thing for the OP, and a bit unnerving as well. ;)

I think I'd want to use Find Any File and use it to locate any other files with the same created/modified date and close time as the "~" Get Info says. Just maybe some "companion" stuff may show up and trigger the old memory or something.

Grab Find Any File here:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Reaction score
If you delete it, it will keep returning as it is part of a very very serious malware taking over your machine. I have had this malware since 2013 and can tell you all about it but for the sake of brevity I will tell you if you do not want very major problems you will backup you files and do a re-format & fresh install immediately. Once it gets a foot hold it will flash tour SMC & EFI and even Apple can not help you to re-flash it back to original.

Should you need further info it would be my pleasure to bring you right up to speed on this, as I personally have spent the last 18 months trying to rid my computer of it, on a daily basis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.