15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
Run ClamXav utility

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
*** do i detect a keylogger?

What behavior are you seeing that makes you suspect a keylogger?

When present they can be difficult to detect.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't - they're designed to be hidden. As Sly said, the better question to ask is "what makes you think that you've got one?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I doubt that the suggestion to run ClamXav will find anything, but you could have a look at Activity Monitor and check All Processes, or have a read at some Googleed sites like:
How to Detect Keyloggers on a Mac | eHow

And just in case, I'd suggest using Little Snitch that could keep track or block any outgoing info if you want to be protected — if any key logger is actually installed. And often a real PITA to uninstall if you didn't install it. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Little Snitch really isn't a bad idea but there is one problem: Scary false positives. Last time I used it the activity was reported based on the process causing the activity. Some of those processes have scary looking names but are perfectly normal.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Little Snitch really isn't a bad idea but there is one problem: Scary false positives.
LS is the perfect way to bring on a sudden case of hypochondria if you don't know anything about what it's catching (and since it reports just about everything, it can be disconcerting for many). Honestly, unless you absolutely need it and/or you can figure out what each process is that it reports, you're probably better off without it.

C

chas_m

Unless you've given someone BOTH physical access to your machine AND your admin password, you don't have a keylogger installed on your Mac. That's PC thinking.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LS is the perfect way to bring on a sudden case of hypochondria if you don't know anything about what it's catching (and since it reports just about everything, it can be disconcerting for many). Honestly, unless you absolutely need it and/or you can figure out what each process is that it reports, you're probably better off without it.

That's why I stopped using it. I was wasting tons of time trying to track down good info on some of those processes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I stopped using it. I was wasting tons of time trying to track down good info on some of those processes.
At least you learned something? (Trying to put an optimistic spin on this, haha).

Reaction score
If you're really that paranoid use a password manager like 1Password.
Keyloggers cant detect when it inputs a password.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least you learned something? (Trying to put an optimistic spin on this, haha).

Yes I learned three things from that little episode:
1. At that time it was difficult to find information about these processes that a non programmer/Unix geek could understand.:Confused:
2. The "Google foo" is not that strong in me.:Blushing:
3. This was a great way to send my blood pressure through the roof quickly.

Reaction score
I've had some good luck with LS, but I had to spend a lot of time figuring out what was garbage and what wasn't.

Reaction score
i havn't tried it for mac or iphone, but i used remotekeyloggers dot net for android. they had a remote install for mac and an iphone installable via icloud. i did not use them though, and have no experience with the apple versions....

Reaction score
Did you watch that video? The ONLY way to install something like that is if someone is stupid enough to run the little app sent to them.
If they don't, it isn't installed and wont run. That's why we always tell people not to run any apps from people you don't know and trust.
Especially stuff from emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you have not clicked on any suspicious email attachments you should be fine. Or are you looking for a way to use a keylogger? Your posts are confusing.

Yes keyloggers can be installed but it requires some sort of physical way to be installed - clicking on an email attachment, installing at the computer itself. If none of that has happened then you are okay.

If you are really worried - nuke and pave. Backup your personal files. Reinstall a clean version of OS X and reinstall apps you know are safe. But that is a really drastic way to go.

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.