Any noise, whining from MBP?

C

Centurion

Hi guys, is anyone experiencing whining sounds from the MBP? Ok, it is not loud but I swear there is a sound there. It is not the fans or the hard drive i am sure...

OP
D

DFutrell62

Centurion said:
Hi guys, is anyone experiencing whining sounds from the MBP? Ok, it is not loud but I swear there is a sound there. It is not the fans or the hard drive i am sure...

I don't have the greatest hearing in the world, but mine is virtually silent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
yeah mine too, seems like we are the lucky ones... or maybe they fixed it on the later shipping units (just got mine on the 13th)

OP
J

jcblitz

Mine just started whining today. I've had it for about a week and didn't notice it until I was laying down in bed using it. I've read about it before but at the time I didn't notice the problem. From what I've read, it has something to do with the processor and if you disable dual core, it stops. But search for it yourself, that's just what I remember.

OP
S

ScottyD

Thus far, there are two specific noises coming from the MBP. The first one correlates to the CPU/iSight camera and the other to the LCD display. I believe the CPU noise sounds like static or white noise. The sound is intermittent and gets louder and softer. I have this symptom, but it is almost unnoticeable on my machine. I have to put my ear to the keyboard to hear it and when I use the 'mirror' widget it goes away. Also, if you open Photo Booth it goes away as well. The 2nd noise is supposedly a buzz and/or whine. I'm not sure what it sounds like but apparently it gets louder or softer depending on the brightness of your lcd. Some people have a worse situation than others. People are sending back their MBPs, but Apple is just sending out a new unit. I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem if these other units have the problem as well. I'm going to assess my situation further in the coming months and if need be have my MBP fixed then.

Regards,
Scotty D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0
ScottyD said:
The 2nd noise is supposedly a buzz and/or whine. I'm not sure what it sounds like but apparently it gets louder or softer depending on the brightness of your lcd.

Unfortunately, I can attest to the LCD buzz issue. Mine suffered from it right out of the box and went back for exchange today. You can hear it here. It's actually pretty steady unless the LCD is at full bright or full off. From the questions Apple Care asked me, its pretty obvious that this is a known issue within Apple tech support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2008
buzzing whine goes away when I tilt it 45 degrees!

Could you paste the text of that? I don't have a subscription and it won't let non-subscribers read it...

My BRAND NEW MBP (3 days old) just started doing a buzzing whine that goes away when I tilt it 45 degrees! I took it in, they couldn't get it to make the noise, ran the usual tests, nothing. Came home, 20 minutes into my work it starts up again. My suspicion is that something is just a little loose (under the keyboard area) and when I move it around the buzzing disappears because it gets aligned correctly.

Anyone know about this? Can I just open it up and tighten up or reseat certain parts of the book without voiding warrantee?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.