Restarting from sleep mode.....

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Hi all,
I have just started using the sleep mode on my iMac 20" Core Duo. I think that it is a wonderful idea but I have a small problem......

When I bring the mac out of sleep the system comes back to life great but for some reason my 250Gb External USB 2.0 HDD does not always restart at the same time. The little icon is on the desktop still but the HDD itself does not come to life. The only way that I have found to restart the External HDD is to restart the iMac. Which kind of defeats the idea of putting it in sleep mode to start with anyway.

This is however an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I'm sorry I have no answer for you, but in fact, have another question. When sleeping, is anything happening at all (I suspect not). For example: mail checks. I'm assuming everything just spins down, and powers down into standby mode, which doesn't really work for me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mark

OP
Say_Cheese
Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have my iMac in my room and while I am laid in bed I can't hear the drive moving so I guess it does.

Oh and does anyone have any ideas as to how to solve my problem??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You could try resetting the PMU. Unfortunatly it is inside the Mac. Most likely you are covered under warranty. I'd take it to an AASP. PMU controls the start, stop, sleep and wake functions in a Mac.

Edit: Incorrectly resseting the PMU is potentially damaging to the system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.