Lost all my notes on yosemite macbook pro retina

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In what app? What version of OS X? Do you have Time Machine backups enabled?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK..and what version are you running right now and DO you have a Time Machine backup that runs all the time or just a snapshot that's old? Brevity isn't your friend here..

OP
V
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Yosemite and haven't backed up yet. I usually backup on an external drive which I plug in (usb) for the purpose. I don't mean to be brief, I'm just not fluent in computer speak :))

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What application are you using to create/save notes?

Do you have Time Machine setup? If you don't know what that is, its the icon on the the top menu bar that looks like a clock with a counter-clockwise arrow. You would use an external HD (that is always plugged in) to backup data to it on the hour, every hour. This will maintain a constant backup that you can go back to when you lose something either by mistake or by some other error.

Not being fluent with computer speak isn't necessarily a issue, but not describing ALL the details of your particular situation can be because we can't guess as to what you are doing, how and why..

OP
V
Reaction score
Firstly, I do not enjoy spending time on a forum asking for help and being bullied in return. Secondly I have already answered that I do my back up manually, meaning I do not have my external HD plugged in all the time. If what you are alluding to is that I should be able to retrieve my notes in my last back up then I shall give it a go. But if there is someone to be bullied it is Apple who have since their upgrade to Mavericks and now Yosemite messed up many applications with the consequence that forums are flourishing with troubleshoots and people far more inept than I am.
Cheers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No one is bullying anyone. Razoredge was simply asking for more details since all we have to go on is what you provide. We aren't asking for you to be conversant in "computer speak" but we do need you to be as descriptive as possible.

OP
V
Reaction score
I can only reply to properly formed questions and not to assumptions!
If there is a way or reinstalling lost notes, that is all I'm requesting. If these notes appear in my last back up, then I should be able to retrieve them. If a back up was needed as soon as I had upgraded to Yosemite, than I can accept these are lost. I believe my questions are clear and my answers succinct enough for knowledgeable groups to answer me with 'human' humour and not robotised comments. So I'm prepared to forget about this 'troubleshoot' in communication if you have some guidance for me. Otherwise, let's agree to leave it there and I shall ring up Apple.
Cheers.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't want to provide enough context for us to be able to help you, that's your option and fine with us. But don't expect us to actually provide anything useful either with very little information.

By all means, call Apple and see what they can do to help you find your lost data..

Oh and BTW, I'm specifically TRYING to not make assumptions and thus requesting you provide information about your setup..but either way, I'm done..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@vistamar,

We all give up our time to help and mean it.

I'm confused because I don't understand what "notes" you are referring to. Do you mean the OS X "Notes" app within which you can create notes and sync them between devices? Or do you mean you created notes yourself in Word or Pages or Text Edit? By telling us this, we can help you retrieve them if this is possible.

And it would be useful to learn if you wrote the notes whilst running Mavericks and then lost them after upgrading to Yosemite. You see, you know what you did, and how, and when, and under what conditions. We're floundering a bit, being in the dark. Help us, we'll do our best to help you.

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Ian - nice post - I was about to state something similar but you've already done it well! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.