my IMac hogs internet from others on network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5-inch, late 2009 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, IPhone 5S, Macbook Pro 15", Macbook Pro 17"
Help! every time I connect my IMac to the network my husbands desktop PC internet slows down approx 75%. So I have to pull the old laptop with windows ;( Any ideas?
I have a IMac 21.5 late 2009 OS X Yosemite using Netgear wnr3800

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy a new router, one with dual bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Run your iMac on one band and your husband's PC on the other. Make sure you buy a good router, one that provides more power than your old one.

And Welcome to the Mac Forums!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5-inch, late 2009 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, IPhone 5S, Macbook Pro 15", Macbook Pro 17"
My Husbands PC is hardwired Ethernet, I am wireless.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Husbands PC is hardwired Ethernet, I am wireless.....

You should have mentioned that in your first post. Having one machine hooked to ethernet while another is using WiFi should not task a good router. I looked up your router at the Netgear site and found specs on the Netgear wndr 3800 which is what I think you meant? Anyway, that a fairly late model router and is already equipped as dual band. What I suggest is that you setup your iMac to use the higher band (5 GHz) to see if that doesn't load things down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.