Change OSX Location

Reaction score
Excuse the non-tech savvy nature of this post.
I am upgrading my old MBP
Mid 2009 4Gigs RAM 2.66Ghz

I have found several upgrades that I believe would be useful to me, i.e. new RAM, new battery, etc. One of which is a new SEPARATE internal SSD drive which can be installed with this device:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/drive_bracket/datadoubler/

I've heard great things about this upgrade. I do a lot of music production and I need to be able to access my VSTs in an instant without waiting for a drive to start spinning. This seems to be the way to go.
HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Is there a way to change the location of my OSX (in this case yosemite) WITHOUT having to completely wipe and reboot my Mac? The obvious benefit here being that I could have my OS on an SSD which would quicken the boot up time.

Any help would be appreciated.

M

MacInWin

That unit (which I have) is designed to go into the Optical Drive bay on the MBP and serves as additional storage. What I did (and like) is that I got the SSD from OWC (MacSales) and installed it in place of the HD, then moved the HD to the Optical bay in the data doubler. That basically doubled my storage and put the SSD as the boot drive, which was a fantastic improvement in boot speed. You'll probably need to get the adapter to fit the 7mm SSD into the 9mm HD space, btw.

To move the data from your current drive to the SSD, the easiest way is to use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! to clone your drive from the HD to the SSD. Both will do it properly. You can do that either by putting the data doubler in, with the SSD and then running CCC or SD! to clone from the HD to the SSD, then swapping them, or if you have an external enclosure with a good high-speed interface, you can put the new SSD in the external, do the CCC/SD! clone and then do the installation. This latter way you only open the MBP once, instead of twice with the former, but the clone times will most likely be longer on the latter unless the external interface is really quick.

Hope that helps some.

OP
P
Reaction score
That unit (which I have) is designed to go into the Optical Drive bay on the MBP and serves as additional storage. What I did (and like) is that I got the SSD from OWC (MacSales) and installed it in place of the HD, then moved the HD to the Optical bay in the data doubler. That basically doubled my storage and put the SSD as the boot drive, which was a fantastic improvement in boot speed. You'll probably need to get the adapter to fit the 7mm SSD into the 9mm HD space, btw.

To move the data from your current drive to the SSD, the easiest way is to use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! to clone your drive from the HD to the SSD. Both will do it properly. You can do that either by putting the data doubler in, with the SSD and then running CCC or SD! to clone from the HD to the SSD, then swapping them, or if you have an external enclosure with a good high-speed interface, you can put the new SSD in the external, do the CCC/SD! clone and then do the installation. This latter way you only open the MBP once, instead of twice with the former, but the clone times will most likely be longer on the latter unless the external interface is really quick.

Hope that helps some.

Thank you! That was super helpful. I knew that it replaced the optical drive which is really no big deal, as I have an external disc drive for my iMac already. I wasn't aware that the location of the drive dictated it's designation as the boot drive, so thank you for that.
All in all, though inconvenient, it doesn't seem like cloning and then moving the drive would be too difficult.
The cloning software you mentioned: is that available on the app store? Do you know costs? Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.