Installing Updates

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro that I got as a high school graduation gift in May of '09. Lately it had been having trouble restarting. I used the Disk Utility I found that my hard drive could not be verified. I re-installed my Mac OS X and it reset me back to version 10.6.5.

My cyclical problem is now I have an iPhone 6. It requires the newest version of iTunes to sync music. The problem is I can't get the newest iTunes until I have the newest OS. In order to download Yosemite, it appears that I'll have to buy Snow Leopard and install, then buy Mountain Lion and install, then buy Lion and install, then buy Mavericks and install.

My question is, does anyone know of a way around having to buy all four of the software updates? Or will I have to buy each one so that I can install the next one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome tot he forums.

That must have been the version of your system DVD. Update to version OS X.6.8 and you will be able to access the App Store. Download Yosemite OS X.10 which is free however you will need an Apple ID to download from the Sore. You will not require the intermediate operating system.

Burn it to an 8GB USB thumb drive using Lion DiskMakerX prior to running, boot from the thumb drive, erase the drive and do a clean install and update to OS X.10.2.

Of course do a backup to an external drive first, which one assumes you have? Be aware older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc will not work.

Also you have not told us how much memory is installed in the MBP. The Mid 2009 model can handle 8GB and many recommend this as a minimum for Yosemite.

https://appleid.apple.com/account

http://liondiskmaker.com

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Once you have updated to 10.6.8 through Software Update you won't have to buy all the other versions. A couple of them were free anyway.

BTW Did you install this on the existing drive or a new one. If it is the existing drive be prepared to shell out for a new drive. Sometimes you can reformat and the drive will be fine other times you're just putting off the inevitable drive replacement.

In either case, I assume you are backing up regularly?

OP
A
Reaction score
G'day and welcome tot he forums.

That must have been the version of your system DVD. Update to version OS X.6.8 and you will be able to access the App Store. Download Yosemite OS X.10 which is free however you will need an Apple ID to download from the Sore. You will not require the intermediate operating system.

Burn it to an 8GB USB thumb drive using Lion DiskMakerX prior to running, boot from the thumb drive, erase the drive and do a clean install and update to OS X.10.2.

Of course do a backup to an external drive first, which one assumes you have? Be aware older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc will not work.

Also you have not told us how much memory is installed in the MBP. The Mid 2009 model can handle 8GB and many recommend this as a minimum for Yosemite.

https://appleid.apple.com/account

DiskMaker X

Thanks harryb! Yes, I did a backup to an external before re-installing the system DVD. I assume that burning Yosemite to the thumb drive will allow me to reinstall from that point instead of my stock install DVD? Thanks again for the input!

OP
A
Reaction score
Once you have updated to 10.6.8 through Software Update you won't have to buy all the other versions. A couple of them were free anyway.

BTW Did you install this on the existing drive or a new one. If it is the existing drive be prepared to shell out for a new drive. Sometimes you can reformat and the drive will be fine other times you're just putting off the inevitable drive replacement.

In either case, I assume you are backing up regularly?

Slydude, I'm going to try the 10.6.8 update then going to Yosemite from there. I did re-install on the existing drive. I haven't run a disk utility since rebooting, but I was able to restart the computer after install, as I could not get it to restart before. I performed a backup to an external before re-installing the system DVD. Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes. Burn the thumb drive, boot from it by restarting an d holding down 'C'. Leave Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and erase and format the drive Mac OS Extended (journaled), back to installer and run and then update to OS X.10.2.

Hook up the external backup and use Migration Assistant in Utilities to copy things across. Be aware some large suites such as MS Office and Adobe may require re-activation so keep the codes handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.