GPS on wifi only iPad

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an WiFi only iPad 4, is it possible to get the GPS data, by bluetooth, from my iPhone 5c when it s connected to the networks for voice/txt but with no data or WiFi connection. I have obviously tried connecting the iPhone to iPad via bluetooth but no GPS data seems to come across. I need this functionality when travelling in Europe where I have phone/txt access but no data roaming.

If this is not possible then is there a GPS dongle which will connect via bluetooth to the iPad? I have tried connecting an old Dell GPS dongle, which works with Windows XP systems, but it is not recognised by the iPad, I rather suspect the Dell Dongle has a rather ancient bluetooth version :)

Thanks

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Wow, that was a quick answer!

Oh well there goes that idea! do you know anything about other dongles which may work?

Thanks,

Chris

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not an expert in this area…but I think that the device in question (WiFi only iPad) needs to have built-in GPS hardware to get GPS data. And as we discussed above…tethering a WiFi only iPad to an iPhone doesn't seem to be a solution.

Here's another link for an app (which is NOT a solution for this situation)…but it contained an important statement that may apply here:

How to Get GPS Directions on the Go Without Using Your Data Plan | CIO

"Your device must have built-in GPS, of course. Apple’s iPod touch and Wi-Fi-only iPads lack GPS, for instance, so they won't work.

Like I said…I'm not an expert in this area…so maybe there is a solution. But from the searching I've done…I'm not finding one.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Nick,

I'll do some more searching for a GPS dongle that ill work with the iPad.

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks dbm,

Yes, I've managed to find 3 here on Amazon UK, the Bad Elf (rather expensive), The Garmin GLO and the GNS 2000, all claim to be iPad/phone compatible. So I think I'll probably go for either the Garmin or GNS, a great deal cheaper than upgrading to a 4G iPad!!

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
I have bow purchased the GNS2000 from Amazon for £62.00. It's a dual GPS / GLONASS unit. It works. I am using it with Maps.Me and Motion X.
You can also use it as a track logger with myTracks, but I haven't tried this yet.
I find that Maps.Me is far simpler to use than Motion x and the mapping is very similar other than Motion X gives the option of topographical mapping rather than just roads on the Maps.Me.

Chris

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Thanks for the update, very interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have used the Bad Elf ~ GPS Pro (wasn't called that 3 yrs ago) now for 3 yrs, and hasn't missed a beat. Actually the battery life is unbelievably amazing, as I have only had to recharge it twice in this time.
Its accurate to within a Meter (my discovery) and works flawlessly with my iPad Mini, and the Mad Maps App. It also works with all other Mapping Apps too. They are one the only GPS Units to be Apple Approved.
To me, its well worth the current price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.