Mac Games

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
caveatipss said:
Are there any good Mac games, or do they all suck?

DOOM 3, HALO, The Sims, The Sims 2, Castle Wolfensteen, F/A-18 Hornet, WoW, the list goes on....

OP
C

caveatipss

baggss said:
DOOM 3, HALO, The Sims, The Sims 2, Castle Wolfensteen, F/A-18 Hornet, WoW, the list goes on....

Unfortunately, not my favorite of all time: Half Life/Half Life II

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
caveatipss said:
Unfortunately, not my favorite of all time: Half Life/Half Life II

Ya, Valve has left us Mac Users hanging...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I have heard that since OSX uses open GL as its graphics interface thingy the macs cannot compare in fps to PC's that use Direct X for graphics. This seems true because I have an intel imac 17" and I still cannot run WoW on top settings... If I try my fps sucks. I have it set now so it looks very good, but I feel somewhat jipped of my what should be very powerful and current X1600 graphics card's power 8/. It's a good thing I don't game more than 4 hours a week -.o .... Still can't beat the imac for power and great looks on the desk. Just wish us users could get more out of the technology incorporated in them (graphically and games wise, because I know just about everything else rocks).

And about the initial post. I'd be careful with the integrated chip stuff. I read a benchmark somewhere (I cannot remember where off hand) through which the PPC mini outperformed the new intels in a graphics test. I'd get a cheap mini to use for everything but games and use a PC as a main gaming machine. That seems to be the best way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I have World of Warcraft, Doom3, Wolfienstien, and a few others that are old and you can download. all run great on my 1.42ghz mini with 512ram. WOW would run better with 1gb, but all run perfect!

OP
T

Tiranis

Arichards said:
I have heard that since OSX uses open GL as its graphics interface thingy the macs cannot compare in fps to PC's that use Direct X for graphics. This seems true because I have an intel imac 17" and I still cannot run WoW on top settings... If I try my fps sucks. I have it set now so it looks very good, but I feel somewhat jipped of my what should be very powerful and current X1600 graphics card's power 8/. It's a good thing I don't game more than 4 hours a week -.o .... Still can't beat the imac for power and great looks on the desk. Just wish us users could get more out of the technology incorporated in them (graphically and games wise, because I know just about everything else rocks).

And about the initial post. I'd be careful with the integrated chip stuff. I read a benchmark somewhere (I cannot remember where off hand) through which the PPC mini outperformed the new intels in a graphics test. I'd get a cheap mini to use for everything but games and use a PC as a main gaming machine. That seems to be the best way to go.

First, the iMac is not powerful, I think you're mistaken. It's using a laptop graphics card and for what it's worth everyone agrees that it performs really well (Gee, even guys from Penny Arcade play WoW on the Intel iMacs and say it's great... :-\ and those are some serious gamers). You wouldn't get any better from a PC running Win XP with same specs (the 512MB RAM doesn't help gaming much either).

Second, sometimes it's really better to set your facts straight regarding things—the integrated graphics card is way better than the old Radeon 9200 (or whatever it was on PPC Minis). Sure, it's not great in some things like UT 2004, but it's way better at handling video playback, Core Image and some other games. In fact, unlike the PPC Mini, the Intel one at least fully supports all of Tiger's effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Tiranis said:
First, the iMac is not powerful, I think you're mistaken. It's using a laptop graphics card and for what it's worth everyone agrees that it performs really well (Gee, even guys from Penny Arcade play WoW on the Intel iMacs and say it's great... :-\ and those are some serious gamers). You wouldn't get any better from a PC running Win XP with same specs (the 512MB RAM doesn't help gaming much either).

Second, sometimes it's really better to set your facts straight regarding things—the integrated graphics card is way better than the old Radeon 9200 (or whatever it was on PPC Minis). Sure, it's not great in some things like UT 2004, but it's way better at handling video playback, Core Image and some other games. In fact, unlike the PPC Mini, the Intel one at least fully supports all of Tiger's effects.

Actually... the imac uses laptop processors and ram. The graphics card however is not a mobility radeon. Even so, laptop graphics cards are very powerful and on par with desktop cards. I know because I have owned many laptops with mobile graphics card lines that perform just the same as their desktop counterparts. The performance is good on the imac, and I enjoy it thorougly... If you asked me I'd say the imac is a very powerful and fast machine. Wow looks wonderful, no doubt. But I was looking at benchmark test and many macs cannot beat 80fps with doom 3 on high resolutions. Whereas PC's can top 100 easily. All I'm saying is I heard this was related to OSX using OpenGL when compared to Direct X.

All in all, I wouldn't take any PC over my imac. For the amount of gaming I do it exceeds my expectations greatly and is more intuitive, easy to use, and reliable.

Reaction score
As said earlier, you will never get as good a gaming experience or choice of games on OS X as you will on Windows XP. Why? Because of Direct X. It's a Microsoft product, and I don't see them selling it to Apple. I don't think Apple would want it anyway. The only reason we ahve the few games we do is because they run in Open GL. I think that's a dying graphics engine.

The only hope we have is for people to prove that XP runs well on the new Intel Macs and then technically speaking, we should be able to play whatever we want.

XP for games, OS X for everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chuckalicious said:
As said earlier, you will never get as good a gaming experience or choice of games on OS X as you will on Windows XP. Why? Because of Direct X. It's a Microsoft product, and I don't see them selling it to Apple. I don't think Apple would want it anyway. The only reason we ahve the few games we do is because they run in Open GL. I think that's a dying graphics engine.

The only hope we have is for people to prove that XP runs well on the new Intel Macs and then technically speaking, we should be able to play whatever we want.

XP for games, OS X for everything else.

Yes, true... They just came out with a guide because someone effectively booted windows xp on an intel 17" imac. He has it set up so you get to choose between two high-res. logos upon turning the machine on. If this works, man that'd be sooo sweet... I have a bunch of windows apps and encyclopedias hanging around that I could now dust off and have a use for.

Reaction score
Well you can get virtual pc, but I believe you can't play games through it?

It'll be interesting to see when I get my Intel iMAC tomorrow if WoW plays as good as my win xp 64bit 2ghz, 1gb ram, geforce 9600 XT.

You have to praise Blizzard for understanding people with mac's want games too! and Blizzard have done it for years with Diablo etc (not starcraft tho).

Does anyone know any sites that sell mac games?

Reaction score
From reports of those who have got XP running on an intel mac, there are no video drivers available, which means 3D acceleration won't work, so you won't be able to play games just yet :)

ped

Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
I don't know about that. There are still a lot of differences in the OS that pose problems...

Macs are now running the same CPU and the same videocards as PCs. The differences between DirectX, OpenGL and Aqua are not deal-breakers compared to the difference the CPU posed before Macs moved to Intel. They can likely be handled pretty simply by mapping the functions between the graphics APIs before compiling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.