Safe to buy if I get applecare?

Reaction score
I am one of the people who didn't want to buy this laptop until a 2nd generation, but I think my worries can be negated if I buy this with apple care, and I'll have 3 years of protection against breakages, even long term ones. What do you guys think? Good idea, or not?

Smesh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you by a Laptop, Applecare is a must. In general it is worth to have a protection though the risk is not so high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
always get apple care on portables imo the cost of replacing stuff is huge its just not worth considering really

N

new2mac

I'm considering getting Apple Care near the end of the one-year manufaturer's warranty. My MBP will be paid off by then, and I can afford to spend more for coverage at that time. Is the one-year warranty the same as Apple Care for the first year?

H

Harryc

new2mac said:
I'm considering getting Apple Care near the end of the one-year manufaturer's warranty. My MBP will be paid off by then, and I can afford to spend more for coverage at that time. Is the one-year warranty the same as Apple Care for the first year?
It's the same. It will just add an additional (2) years if you buy it at then end of the warranty (1 year) period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Harryc said:
It's the same. It will just add an additional (2) years if you buy it at then end of the warranty (1 year) period.

One point I'd like to make... It's ESSENTIALLY the same, but not quite. I couldn't find it in writing on the website, but talked to a service rep who verified it.

With the standard warranty, you have 1 year of standard warranty, and 90 days of phone support. If at anytime in that first 90 days, you make a phone call for service support, you have exhausted your phone warranty. Any subsequent phone call will cost you $50.

With the APP, you have unlimited phone calls, and warranty service for the entirety of 3 years.

So they're similar but consider it like going to jail if you don't get the warranty: You only get one phone call!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.