Home Folder Permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. Finder is having difficulty finding files/folder in a “Latest” folder I copied over to my Desktop from a Time Machine backup.

I have tried manually editing permissions via Get Info & applied to "All Enclosed Permissions."
I also tried using the Password Reset tool after restarting and holding down Cmd+R but it says "No available users" so i can't choose my account to apply the settings to..
Of course Repairing Disk permissions in understand will only repair System folders (not Home).

How can I edit my home folders (and all enclosed files and folders - ie the TM folder) to ensure I have full access & searchability over all items on my mac

many thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Josh

Did the article solve your problem? If No, we're still here. If Yes, then be telling us, others reading this thread can benefit.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey IWT. Thanks for the link. I've actually tried this process after seeing something very similar in another article. As I mentioned in the OP, the last step was to try resetting permissions via the password reset tool but my user account never showed up so I couldn't select and reset permissions for it. Do you have any idea why this would be

Are there any other steps I can take? I wonder if I just moved individual files/folders from the "latest" TM backup folder to my new Documents folder, if the old (limited) permissions would still stick to the files!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm a bit confused here when the original post says: "... Finder is having difficulty finding files/folder in a “Latest” folder I copied over to my Desktop ... and then all the permissions stuff.

Can the Finder not find the files which seems odd if you're working on them, or can you not open and access them?

And have you applied your logon user name to have Read/Write permissions??

Are you an admin user, or standard user without full access?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey pm-r. Thats correct; I can go into the TM backup and open, read & write files. I've also double checked & set all files/folders to read/write for my login (i am the main user on the mac). The issue is the the finder cant seem to find files in the TM folder - ie if i run a search for a file (i know is definitely in the TM folder) it wont find the file.
I have managed to find a workaround; by moving files/folder from the TM folder to my desktop the finder can now find the files.
This does seem odd though that finder cant search the TM folder although all permission have been set correctly..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As I understand TM and the way it works, ONE SHOULD NOT USE THE FINDER AND MUCK ABOUT IN THE TIME MACHINE BACKUP.

Sorry to yell, but only use Time Machine itself. A lot of the stuff you'll see in the TM backup with the Finder may not even be the actual file/folder, but a link or part of several links to the real data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.