after installing OS X yosemite it jumps back to main menu ((OS X Utlilities))

Reaction score
Hello

My brother gave me his broken Macbook Pro, the problem with the computer was that it did'nt turn on (it freezed at the apple logo).

So I followed some guidance on apple support website, they adviced me to erase the disk an reinstall OS X.

So I did that.. The problem I got is that when the installation of OS X Yosemite is done the computer jumps back to the main site (OS X Utlilities)

Things that I have tried is:
* PRAM
* Repair disk button at Disk utility. it gave me the answer The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completey. & Error: Disk utlity can't repair this disk. Bac... the disk, and restore your backed up files.

Should I try purchase another OS (ex. Lions) or should I just buy a new hard drive for the computer. Or do anyone know something else I can do?

Thanks in advance!
/ Victor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Installing another version of OS X will not change the fact that disk utility says there is a problem.
I would be betting the hard drive is bad. If repair disk is saying back up because it can't repair the drive that is an indicator!

Now a nice SSD would be a great addition. They cost more but the speed increase is fantastic.

I suggest you check out the www.ifixit.com website for information on how to install a new drive.

Lisa

OP
V
Reaction score
Installing another version of OS X will not change the fact that disk utility says there is a problem.
I would be betting the hard drive is bad. If repair disk is saying back up because it can't repair the drive that is an indicator!

Now a nice SSD would be a great addition. They cost more but the speed increase is fantastic.

I suggest you check out the www.ifixit.com website for information on how to install a new drive.

Lisa

Oh, that was quick response :) Thank you so much for the help.

Then a new hard drive it will be, and as you suggested it is perfect timing to upgrade to an SSD.

Once again thank your helpfulness.

Best regards Victor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Post back and let us know if that does the trick.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.