Yosemite wakes itself from sleep; Help

Reaction score
On apple.com I got no help as follows:
Search: My iMac wakes itself up automatically without my doing anything.
No results were found. Please try a different search. Has no one experienced this problem? Periodically when supposedly asleep, I hear the disk drive buzz.
OS 10.10.1, on my iMac 24 inch, Early 2008, 2.8 GHz Intel Dore 2 Duo, 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well you can shut it down or you can check to see if it is set to wake for wifi.

Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Power Adapter
There is a check box "Wake for Wifi Network Access" uncheck that and see if that helps.

Here is an apple article explaining about this:

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy - Apple Support

Lisa

Reaction score
On apple.com I got no help as follows:
Search: My iMac wakes itself up automatically without my doing anything.
No results were found. Please try a different search. Has no one experienced this problem? Periodically when supposedly asleep, I hear the disk drive buzz.
OS 10.10.1, on my iMac 24 inch, Early 2008, 2.8 GHz Intel Dore 2 Duo, 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have the same exact computer like you with 4GB of Ram OS 10.10.2 running. My hard drive does not go to sleep at all. Even when I click the apple icon and sleep just the monitor goes to sleep but the hard drives are still running. Ive all external hard drives and it still doesn't go to sleep.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

Thanks

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may like to ry a little app called Caffeine to overcome this. Download direct from the linked website and not the App Store which are an update behind the developper's site:-

Lighthead - Caffeine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the same exact computer like you with 4GB of Ram OS 10.10.2 running. My hard drive does not go to sleep at all. Even when I click the apple icon and sleep just the monitor goes to sleep but the hard drives are still running. Ive all external hard drives and it still doesn't go to sleep.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

Thanks

James

And in System Preferences -> Energy Saver - you DO have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked?

Also I would recommend un-checking "Wake for Network Access" and "Start up Automatically after power failure."

And I know this might sound silly but you don't by chance have a cat that likes to walk on keyboards or bat around mice??? Stranger things have happened. :Confused:

Lisa

Reaction score
And in System Preferences -> Energy Saver - you DO have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked?

Also I would recommend un-checking "Wake for Network Access" and "Start up Automatically after power failure."

And I know this might sound silly but you don't by chance have a cat that likes to walk on keyboards or bat around mice??? Stranger things have happened. :Confused:

Lisa

I have it checked in the box Put hard drives to sleep when possible and i don't have checked wake for network access and start up automatically after a power failure. It still only puts the monitor to sleep when i click sleep on the apple button top left. I still hear the hard drives running no matter what I do.

That caffeine app takes about keeping it awake I want my hard drives to sleep. I tried to download it and it wouldn't let me I got the message "can not opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Im at a loss don't know what else to check to find out why its not falling asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the message "can not opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Im at a loss don't know what else to check to find out why its not falling asleep.

I am not sure if caffeine will do what you want but to open an app downloaded from the internet go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab - click on the lock icon - lower left corner, input your admin password, and if you see a warning about the download, go ahead and okay the install. If not, change "Allow apps downloaded from" to "Anywhere". Now install Caffeine.

Be sure to go back and change the security option back. I use "Mac App Store and Identified Developers."

As for the still running hard drive... I am wondering if some app you have installed is causing the problem. Not sure what it would be though.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.