Deleting iMovie Event files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook Pro
Once project is completed, can I delete the original event video files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If the project is complete AND you have created the final encoded standalone movie file you can delete all the original video clips and any other files connected to it. BUT make sure you have created your final video first! If you plan to burn it to a DVD do that first too.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook Pro
If the project is complete AND you have created the final encoded standalone movie file you can delete all the original video clips and any other files connected to it. BUT make sure you have created your final video first! If you plan to burn it to a DVD do that first too.

Lisa

Thx Lisa. I'm very new to all this so one more question: In the iMovie Event Folder besides the original video files, there's also iMovie Data, iMovie Cache, iMovie thumbnails and iMovie Waveforms. I presume they must remain?
Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx Lisa. I'm very new to all this so one more question: In the iMovie Event Folder besides the original video files, there's also iMovie Data, iMovie Cache, iMovie thumbnails and iMovie Waveforms. I presume they must remain?
Thanks again for your valuable advice.

No, if everything is done - and I mean done, final file is playable outside of iMovie and/or has been burned to a DVD, then all that can be deleted. The project data and cache are files iMovie creates in response to your changes. Thumbnails are previews of files and waveforms are your audio. If you never intend to use the files again they can all go.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook Pro
Thanks again Lisa. You have been a great help and also will save substantial HD space. Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do all my video work using Premiere Pro but I have done a couple of small projects using iMovie just to get familiar. It isn't beefy enough to do what I need at work but it is great for home projects.

I know when I have to "dump" all the project files and empty all the caches, I get really nervous and find myself making very sure I am done with everything. Nothing is more frustrating than dumping the project and finding something was not right - a misspelled menu or a bad transition - the list is endless. I will keep the raw footage a bit longer and depending on what it is I will move it to a storage drive. I once cleared my Premiere Pro cache and gained 750GB - that was several projects that had built up.

Lisa

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.